8800GTX SLI Problem

Old November 24th 06, 12:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Reggie Hillier

Default 8800GTX SLI Problem

I have two 8800 GTXs, one is an EVGA and the other is BFG.
I have them installed in a Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard.
They are connected together using the Asus sli ribbon connector.
I have SLI enbled in the Nvidia control panel and am using the 8800
series 97.02 drivers.When I run 3DMark06 I only get 8600 as a score.
With a single card I get around 8200. In games I get the same increase.
Also the ribbon connector is connected to the two brackets at the part
of the cards closest to the dvi . I look in the Asus manuel and I can't find
any reference to a special bios setting for running sli.
Anybody have this combo and have good results or is anyone running these
cards in sli ?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks !

Old November 24th 06, 12:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Compare the fill rate results in the itemized tests. They should be close to
double with SLI enabled.

You didn't mention your CPU speed or benchmark screen resolution. 3DMark 06
at default settings (1280x1024 no AA) becomes ridiculously CPU-bound with
cards of such horsepower.

Old November 24th 06, 01:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Reggie Hillier

Sorry forgot to mention that I have an AMD 4400 dual core with 2x1 gig OCZ
Platinum ram.
I also ran the test at 1024x768.

Old November 24th 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Reggie Hillier

In 3DMark06 it says : GFX : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Should is say SLI in with it ?

Old November 24th 06, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Reggie Hillier

Just checked the fill rates with single and sli and with sli set I am
getting apprx. 2x the fill rates.
Damn..... does this mean I need a faster processor .....

Old November 24th 06, 02:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

In the results Excel spreadsheet, there should be an entry called
"cooperative adapters". With SLI enabled, it should say "yes".

Old November 24th 06, 02:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

Upgrade to a faster processor only if your sole purpose is to peg higher on
the 3DMark meter. Of course if that's your goal, even the top FX62 won't be
enough, so plan on a new C2E, motherboard, DDR2 RAM... Remember there's a
dedicated CPU test which is the equivalent of software rendering (think
Mechwarrior 2, Quake 1), completely inapplicable in modern games. No amount
of video card upgrading is gonna help there.

3DMark lost its relevance three years ago.