A new LCD and need help

Old July 3rd 06, 10:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
SHRED

Default A new LCD and need help

I am looking into a new LCD Monitor.
I will run it with a 256mb eVGA GeForce 6800gs AGP.

My question is about the "wide screen" choices.
Are they compatible or are they "specialized"?
Will my card run them?
Is there any advantage or disadvantage?
What are some good buys right now on wide and regular screen?
Brands?
Models?
Is DVI capability important?
I also game, so no ghosting please.

Thanks for any suggestions.
--
~~SHRED

Old July 3rd 06, 11:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
bandit

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 14:33:24 -0700, SHRED wrote:

I am looking into a new LCD Monitor.
I will run it with a 256mb eVGA GeForce 6800gs AGP.

My question is about the "wide screen" choices.
Are they compatible or are they "specialized"?
Will my card run them?
Is there any advantage or disadvantage?
What are some good buys right now on wide and regular screen?
Brands?
Models?
Is DVI capability important?
I also game, so no ghosting please.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Have a look at this one,I have one just like it and there is no
ghosting in games and the viewing angle is wide enough that you don't
see the screen go to a light color as you step to the side like allot
of others,and with a 2ms response time you cant go wrong

The only thing is if you want to run it at a resolution higher than
1280x1024 then you might want to look at something different

Old July 3rd 06, 11:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
bandit

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 17:40:27 -0500, bandit wrote:

[...]

And almost forgot if it was me I would get one with the DVI for a
better picture,I had another one without DVI and I could see the
difference in the picture,but it could be that it had a smaller
viewing angle and more response time + the Contrast Ratio was a lot
less than this one
Old July 4th 06, 12:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

"SHRED" wrote in message
Are they compatible or are they "specialized"?

Compatible with your 6800, sure. Just keep in mind widescreen resolutions
are not supported in all games, though the popular titles on the market
today are compatible (or can be configured so with console commands).

Will my card run them?

Yes.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage?

Keep in mind the screen size is a diagonal measurement. A 19" 4:3 monitor
gives a good screen area. A 19" widescreen monitor, on the other hand, will
appear small - you'll need a 20-incher to get a comparable size.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/27/xxl_displays/
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/...cd_collection/

Is DVI capability important?

Yes.

I also game, so no ghosting please.

Look for a Viewsonic VP191, VP930, or VX922. :-)

None of the 20" widescreen monitors respond fast enough for gaming, IMHO.

Old July 4th 06, 07:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"SHRED" wrote in message
> [...]

[...]

I also game, so no ghosting please.

I think you mean no motion blur. By definition from the VESA Flat Panel
Display Manual, ghosting is actually the problem of interference over the
signal, which results in an "echoed" image and is not restricted to games or
other moving images.