Power supply to run a 256mb 7800GS AGP?

Old April 11th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Power supply to run a 256mb 7800GS AGP?

I have a Thermaltake TR2 430W.

I am considering getting another hard drive, and a 7800GS AGP card.

Will this power supply handle all of this?

My "old" AGP system:

P4 2.53
1 gig ram
Plextor PX 716A
ATI 9800pro--to be replaced
Seagate Barricuda 80g SATA HD---to add another one
TB Santa Cruz soundcard

Thanks

--
~~SHRED

Old April 12th 06, 03:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Butterfield wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 05:46:03 -0700, SHRED wrote:

I have a Thermaltake TR2 430W.

I am considering getting another hard drive, and a 7800GS AGP card.

Will this power supply handle all of this?

My "old" AGP system:

P4 2.53
1 gig ram
Plextor PX 716A
ATI 9800pro--to be replaced
Seagate Barricuda 80g SATA HD---to add another one
TB Santa Cruz soundcard

Thanks

no problem

-- Butterfield

Thanks.
I had heard some rumors that a 500W power supply was needed for the 7800GS.

--
~~SHRED
Old April 12th 06, 05:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

'SHRED' wrote:
| Thanks.
| I had heard some rumors that a 500W power supply was needed for the
7800GS.

You could probably get by with a 300 Watt power supply. Your 430 Watt power
supply is more than sufficient - you could add three or four more drives
with no trouble. The maximum power consumption of an 80 GByte hard drive is
less than 20 Watts, and that is only when spinning up. Larger capacity
drives usually don't use any more power because the capacity increase comes
mostly from higher recording density, not heavier platters. A sound card
use very little power, a few watts. Your CPU uses only 70 or 80 Watts (some
is lost in the DC-DC down conversion from 12 volts to ~ 1.5 volts. Swapping
out for a 7800 GS will only add 40 Watts or less to the system power
consumption.

Phil Weldon

Old April 12th 06, 05:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message k.net...
'SHRED' wrote:
| Thanks.
| I had heard some rumors that a 500W power supply was needed for the
7800GS.

You could probably get by with a 300 Watt power supply. Your 430 Watt power
supply is more than sufficient - you could add three or four more drives
with no trouble. The maximum power consumption of an 80 GByte hard drive is
less than 20 Watts, and that is only when spinning up. Larger capacity
drives usually don't use any more power because the capacity increase comes
mostly from higher recording density, not heavier platters. A sound card
use very little power, a few watts. Your CPU uses only 70 or 80 Watts (some
is lost in the DC-DC down conversion from 12 volts to ~ 1.5 volts. Swapping
out for a 7800 GS will only add 40 Watts or less to the system power
consumption.

Although if overclocking or upgrading to a faster CPU are possibilities,
that 70 or 80W can easily soar well over 100W. Same goes (to a
lesser extent) if you'll be overclocking your 7800GS.

Old April 12th 06, 06:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

'Mark M' wrote:
| Although if overclocking or upgrading to a faster CPU are possibilities,
| that 70 or 80W can easily soar well over 100W. Same goes (to a
| lesser extent) if you'll be overclocking your 7800GS
_____

So it may be another 40 or 50 Watts, still no problem with a 430 Watt
supply, and perhaps even with a 300 Watt supply.
100 W + 75 W + 20 W + 20 W + 50 W = 265 W. I wouldn't count on 300 working,
but certainly a 430 Watt supply is more than sufficient for anything that
the original owner's motherboard will accept.

Here are the URLs for two marvelous articles written by a guy who actually
MEASURED the power consumption of nVidia and ATI video cards at standard and
overclocked speeds. It doesn't have the nVidia 7xxx series, but it is still
good to actually know the power video cards draw. I hope Tim Tscheblockov,
the author of the articles does an update.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powercons_8.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power.html

Phil Weldon

k.net...