7800GS graphics card... worth it?

Old April 4th 06, 03:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg

Default 7800GS graphics card... worth it?

I have the misfortune of being stuck with an AGP motherboard. I'm
don't feel the need to ditch my Athlon 64 3000+ just yet, but at the
same time I don't feel comfortable investing money into a dead
technology like AGP.

Most of the fancy new cards are PCI-Express only, and I can't really
use 'em unless I overhaul my entire system. So at this point... is the
7800GS worth my $300? Or would I be stupid to spend any money on a
dead technology?

I'm not very picky with my PC games. I'm perfectly content with
1280x768 resolution *without* AA, as long as all the other details are
close to maximum. I don't need to be playing at 120 fps all the time
either. I can tolerate an average framerate of 45-50 fps, but not any
lower.

With that in mind... how long will the 7800GS keep me content with the
latest games until it can no longer satisfy my requirements? 9 months?
18 months?

Old April 4th 06, 06:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg

The bottom line is the guy wants to run modern games - presumably ones
like Oblivion, Call of Duty 2 & FEAR.

I have an Amiga 500 that will run those games about as well as your
machine, but I don't run anything past about 1993 on it so I guess I
haven't run into any problems either and it's not "dead" technology.

Old April 4th 06, 10:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg

Most of the fancy new cards are PCI-Express only, and I can't really
use 'em unless I overhaul my entire system. So at this point... is the
7800GS worth my $300? Or would I be stupid to spend any money
on a
dead technology?

I just upgraded from an XFX GeForce 6600GT -to- an eVGA GeForce
7800GS-OC/256MB and found a noticable improvement. I play only UT2004, and
noticed the graphics load quicker, and everything appears a wee bit more
defined.

The 6600GT goes in my kids PC, which will double their video ram. It's a
fine card in & of itself. I just decided to get the 7800GS as it's very
likely the end of our AGP road.

With that in mind... how long will the 7800GS keep me content with
the
latest games until it can no longer satisfy my requirements?

Depends on which games you'll be wanting to try out. As others have
pointed out, even the latest PCi-E/SLi cards get taxed on a couple of
those games, and any AGP card will _really_ show it's limitations.
--

Jim
Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZASS 6.1, & WinXP Pro w/SP2

Old April 4th 06, 11:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg

"Thomas" looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

The bottom line is the guy wants to run modern games - presumably ones
like Oblivion, Call of Duty 2 & FEAR.

I have an Amiga 500 that will run those games about as well as your
machine, but I don't run anything past about 1993 on it so I guess I
haven't run into any problems either and it's not "dead" technology.

I think you'd be surprised what a GF3Ti200 can run if you aren't hung up
on huge resolutions and FSAA and AF and if it's one with a good amount
of RAM on it.

Oblivion - probably not.
GTA:SA, VTM:Bloodline, Guild Wars - no problem at all for a 128 meg
gf3ti200 @ 1280x1024 with no FSAA or AF.

A good decade less obsolete than that Amiga.

Xocyll
Old April 5th 06, 12:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg

Butterfield wrote:

What are you running now besides an Athlon 64 3000+?

Butterfield

Athlon 64 3000+
1 GB RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro

Would the 7800GS give any significant performance increase over the
9800 Pro? Would the CPU bottleneck the video card?

Honestly, while my current PC isn't fast enough to run the latest and
greatest games, it's still good enough for everything else I do.
Surfing the web, watching movies, playing music, video editing, minor
programming, surfing the web, word processing, and so forth. Besides
gaming, I can't even imagine any activity that my PC can't handle for
the next 5 or 10 years. That's why I'm very reluctant to completely
overhaul a perfectly good PC right now just so I can play games with a
PCI Express graphics card.