Windows Vista Graphics Cards

Old April 4th 06, 01:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Windows Vista Graphics Cards

Which NVidia GPU's support DirectX 9 and WDDM?
I need to upgrade several PC's with older video cards (AGP) like TI 4200,
and want the replacements to support Windows Aero.
I don't need the latest and greatest for gaming, just decent video for
productivity apps and software development.

Old April 4th 06, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in

Which NVidia GPU's support DirectX 9 and WDDM?
I need to upgrade several PC's with older video cards (AGP) like
TI 4200, and want the replacements to support Windows Aero.
I don't need the latest and greatest for gaming, just decent
video for productivity apps and software development.

Ti 4200 is a decent card, it won;t have problems with Vista. But I
wonder why would you need to "upgrade" to Vista to do video and
software development. Stick with XP.
Old April 4th 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Seeker" wrote in message
"Peter van der Goes" wrote in

Which NVidia GPU's support DirectX 9 and WDDM?
I need to upgrade several PC's with older video cards (AGP) like
TI 4200, and want the replacements to support Windows Aero.
I don't need the latest and greatest for gaming, just decent
video for productivity apps and software development.

Ti 4200 is a decent card, it won;t have problems with Vista. But I
wonder why would you need to "upgrade" to Vista to do video and
software development. Stick with XP.

Thanks very much for the insights, guys!
To answer Seeker: I teach at a college where students will have access to
Vista through our MSDNAA program when it's released, even if classrooms and
labs aren't upgraded immediately. To help solve student problems and
evaluate their work, I need to have PC's with what they have.
Never a dull moment

Old April 4th 06, 06:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article M0uYf.3737$IG.1260@dukeread01, Peter van der Goes says...
Which NVidia GPU's support DirectX 9 and WDDM?

Any of the 6x00 range.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.

Thank you Conor! I'll look into the 6x00 series.

Old April 4th 06, 09:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Do you plan on using dual LCD displays with any of those computers?
Only reason I ask is if so then you will want to get a video card that has
two DVI out rather than one DVI + one AGP.
But if you are sure you will not be using dual LCD displays, then I'm pretty
sure ALL of the 6600 & 6800 cards have at least one DVI out.

Since those 6x00 cards are a generation old, you should be able to get
pretty good prices on them. Make sure, whatever price you find, it is a good
amount lower than higher-performing 7x00 cards!

If you want to compare performance, here are Tom's Hardware's VGA charts:
http://www.tomshardware.com/site/vgacharts/index.html

--
Scotter
Tyan Thunder K8WE

Old April 5th 06, 03:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Seeker" wrote in message

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in

Which NVidia GPU's support DirectX 9 and WDDM?
I need to upgrade several PC's with older video cards (AGP) like
TI 4200, and want the replacements to support Windows Aero.
I don't need the latest and greatest for gaming, just decent
video for productivity apps and software development.

Ti 4200 is a decent card, it won;t have problems with Vista.

Doesn't Vista require DirectX 9 support? There's a reason Nvidia's list of
Vista-ready cards stops at the 5200.

Old April 5th 06, 11:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Yeah..I guess the 6600GT hits the sweet spot w.r.t. performance and
price.

Old April 6th 06, 04:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Peter van der Goes writes:

I don't need the latest and greatest for gaming, just decent video for
productivity apps and software development.

You'll need the latest and greatest for Vista, though, since most of
the "improvement" in the OS seems to be more eye candy.

Old April 6th 06, 03:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article M0uYf.3737$IG.1260@dukeread01, Peter van der Goes says...
Which NVidia GPU's support DirectX 9 and WDDM?

Any of the 6x00 range.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.

Looking on newegg.com, it appears that the 6x00 series is PCI-E?
As I need to replace AGP cards, without replacing motherboards, what series
would be equivalent, 5x00?

Old April 6th 06, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Looking on newegg.com, it appears that the 6x00 series is PCI-E?
As I need to replace AGP cards, without replacing motherboards, what
series would be equivalent, 5x00?

Ignore this, please!
It was posted by an idiot who did not do proper research.
I've found the 6x00 AGP cards, doh.