Is my Card Fried?

Old March 6th 06, 03:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Is my Card Fried?

I've got a Geforce 2 Ultra and all of a sudden my disply started
showing up dark with some artifacts. Looked at the card and noticed
the fan was not spinning anymore on it. I took the card out and when I
spin the fan manually it turns really hard like it's stuck. Did my
card fry and is dead or is there something I can do to make it work
again?

Old March 6th 06, 03:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I might be fried. It might only be that the fan is bad. You could do one
of the following:

1) Take the side off of the case and aim a house fan at the video card and
start the system. Does it display properly? Then buy a new fan for it. If
not, buy a new card.

2) Buy a new card. The GF2 is old any way. Why spend money on it?

DaveL

ups.com...

Old March 6th 06, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"DaveL" Top Poster Extraordinaire wrote in message
. ..
I might be fried. It might only be that the fan is bad. You could do one
of the following:

1) Take the side off of the case and aim a house fan at the video card
and start the system. Does it display properly? Then buy a new fan for
it. If not, buy a new card.

2) Buy a new card. The GF2 is old any way. Why spend money on it?

DaveL

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've got a Geforce 2 Ultra and all of a sudden my disply started
showing up dark with some artifacts. Looked at the card and noticed
the fan was not spinning anymore on it. I took the card out and when I
spin the fan manually it turns really hard like it's stuck. Did my
card fry and is dead or is there something I can do to make it work
again?

Try taking the fan off. (The fan itself, not the heatsink.) Tear apart the
fan, oil it - the shaft and the hole the shaft goes into (fishing reel oil
works well), and see if it works now. (Don't lose the washer that goes
around the shaft. You'll probably need tweezers to get it on and off as
it's very small.) Normally a sticker covers up the hole where the shaft and
washer is located on the fan. If it doesn't work now, the fan's bad. Get a
new video card. If the fan works and you still get artifacts, your card is
probably shot unless you have reason to believe that it might be your
monitor. This oiling theory also works the same on case fans and CPU fans.
(Even regular house fans.)

Old March 7th 06, 02:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've got a Geforce 2 Ultra and all of a sudden my disply started
showing up dark with some artifacts. Looked at the card and noticed
the fan was not spinning anymore on it. I took the card out and when I
spin the fan manually it turns really hard like it's stuck. Did my
card fry and is dead or is there something I can do to make it work
again?

fix fan, try it

why even bother to post ?