Any Comments on the eMachines T3304 Sempron 3300+ at $350?

Old February 4th 06, 02:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Any Comments on the eMachines T3304 Sempron 3300+ at $350?

I had some horrible experiences supporting eMachine's fisrt generation
of products but I'll let bygones be bygones and let the current
products stand on thier own merits....

I'm looking at;

http://www.emachines.com/products/pr...tml?prod=T3304

Sempron 3300+ 256MB memory (exp to 2GB)
100 GB disk
integrated video and 100MB nic
XP/Home OS
some other stuff in the box

For $350 (no monitor) it seems like a good deal. I'd shove at least a
GB of memory and a 10K swap/workdisk into it.

The heaviest use would be Photoshop. I don't do games.

I've not been paying attention to the sempron. If I don't buy this,
I'll go the other extreme and buy a Atthlon46X2+mobo+memory package
for about $800 and build my own system. Obviously I'm not comparing
these two systems.

My current system is an AMD2700+ with a GB of RAM. How much faster is
the Sempron 3300+?

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Old February 4th 06, 06:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

"Al Dykes" wrote in message

[...]

It looks good for the price, I bought an eMachine about fours years back.
It was terrible, all ways something wrong. I was going to school, living
with two roommates; lets just say it was all I could afford. My mother
purchased one around a year ago, it is a whole completely different animal.
Much more upgradeable then the HP I got some six months prior and paid much
more for. From my understanding, now that Gateway bought them, they are
putting the same parts that are in Gateway branded machines, the only
downside is less tech support.

--
WooHoo2You

Old February 4th 06, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Your wasting your money

--
XP2600@171
AIW9600XT, A7N8X-X

Old February 6th 06, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Sorry, didn't read all your message properly. If all your using is
photoshop, then why bother upgrading at all? You won't notice much of a
difference. I've overclocked my processor to XP3200 barton speed and saw
marginal difference when playing games and not much else. I'd say go
dual-core or save your money.
--
XP2600@171
PC3200 Samsung 512mb

Old February 11th 06, 05:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Looking at the specs in the E-machine and your current system. I'd say maybe
upgrade to 2GB memory in your current system and be happy( if your current
setup is stable and doesn't give you any problems.) 3300+ isn't going to be
alot faster than your 2700+. If you need a fast hard drive for just swap
files than I think 2GB ram +7200rpm drive with 8mb cache+ would be a more
cost effective route. Buying a new system from a previously unproven company
isn't a great idea unless it's a great upgrade at a great price and you are
willing to try it. In this case it isn't a great upgrade.

The AMD64 combo package would be a nice upgrade, I'd still try to stay with
2GB of ram though. I know that soon amd will be releasing a new socket and
uses DDR2. So it might also be worth waiting a couple more months to see
what the new tech is, and maybe just hold out for the price breaks.

My 2 cents

Chris