Best driver right now....?

Old January 14th 06, 01:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Best driver right now....?

Hi all,

Just taken delivery of a 7800GTX 512mb - been to 3d guru for drivers...which
is the best one right now for gaming (COD2, Quake 4, etc)?

AMD A64 4400+ x2 (Toledo core 2x1mb L2 cache)
MSI K8N SLI Diamond (NF2 Chipset)
POC Nvidia GF7800GTX 512mb Extreme
2 x 512mb G.Skill DDR Ram PC4400 (DDR550)
Enermax PSU 600w
Watercooled CPU

Old January 14th 06, 02:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"sacrum" je napisao u poruci interesnoj grupi:

Just taken delivery of a 7800GTX 512mb - been to 3d guru for
drivers...which is the best one right now for gaming (COD2, Quake 4, etc)?

AMD A64 4400+ x2 (Toledo core 2x1mb L2 cache)
MSI K8N SLI Diamond (NF2 Chipset)
POC Nvidia GF7800GTX 512mb Extreme
2 x 512mb G.Skill DDR Ram PC4400 (DDR550)
Enermax PSU 600w
Watercooled CPU

Latest offcorse from official nvidia site.Cool configuration btw.

Old January 14th 06, 04:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Romano C" wrote in message

"sacrum" je napisao u poruci interesnoj grupi:

Just taken delivery of a 7800GTX 512mb - been to 3d guru for
drivers...which is the best one right now for gaming (COD2, Quake 4,
etc)?

AMD A64 4400+ x2 (Toledo core 2x1mb L2 cache)
MSI K8N SLI Diamond (NF2 Chipset)
POC Nvidia GF7800GTX 512mb Extreme
2 x 512mb G.Skill DDR Ram PC4400 (DDR550)
Enermax PSU 600w
Watercooled CPU

Latest offcorse from official nvidia site.Cool configuration btw.

Thanks - got the 4400 @ 2.64ghz - very good cpu...

I was wondering if any of the beta drivers were decent - i'm currently on
82.65

Old January 14th 06, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"sacrum" wrote in message

"Romano C" wrote in message

"sacrum" je napisao u poruci interesnoj grupi:

Just taken delivery of a 7800GTX 512mb - been to 3d guru for
drivers...which is the best one right now for gaming (COD2, Quake 4,
etc)?

AMD A64 4400+ x2 (Toledo core 2x1mb L2 cache)
MSI K8N SLI Diamond (NF2 Chipset)
POC Nvidia GF7800GTX 512mb Extreme
2 x 512mb G.Skill DDR Ram PC4400 (DDR550)
Enermax PSU 600w
Watercooled CPU

Latest offcorse from official nvidia site.Cool configuration btw.

Thanks - got the 4400 @ 2.64ghz - very good cpu...

I was wondering if any of the beta drivers were decent - i'm currently on
82.65

Hi, excuse me for going off topic, can I ask if you've benchmarked it yet?
I've just this afternoon built a shuttle sn25p, with an asus 7800gt, the
same 4400 x2 cpu, 2 x 1gb ram (crucials standard, nothing fancy), and a
300gb barracuda sata HDD.
I have literally just got windows patched and drivers installed about and
hour ago. It scores 6772 on 3d05.
I was wondering what yours clocks in at as its very similarly spec'ed.
Not sure what the drivers are, the ones that came with it so probably out of
date (I'm not on it at the moment or I'd check).

Cheers.

Old January 14th 06, 11:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Jester" wrote in message
"sacrum" wrote in message

"Romano C" wrote in message

[...]

3dmark 05 11k
The 4400x2 is clocked stable @ 2660mhz - the GTX is at 600/1800

Old January 15th 06, 12:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 13:29:28 -0000, "sacrum"
wrote:

Hi all,

Just taken delivery of a 7800GTX 512mb - been to 3d guru for drivers...which
is the best one right now for gaming (COD2, Quake 4, etc)?

AMD A64 4400+ x2 (Toledo core 2x1mb L2 cache)
MSI K8N SLI Diamond (NF2 Chipset)
POC Nvidia GF7800GTX 512mb Extreme
2 x 512mb G.Skill DDR Ram PC4400 (DDR550)
Enermax PSU 600w
Watercooled CPU

Is this an advertisement of your wealth or a serious question ?

Actually the MSI is a NF4 chip-set.

See the nVidia site for the latest driver compatible with the
7800GTX512. Anything downloaded from 3dguru (or the nVidia BETA
archive) and not on the nVidia Release-page is BETA release, with
bugs not fully documented and your "mileage may vary" -- a
lot.......... The Release versions come with a full set of Release
Notes, documenting bugs fixed and still-outstanding known bugs.

BTW, nVidia has now finally announced that the 7800GTX512
is only a "limited release". Soon to be superseded by the
next-generation (G71 ?) at a much lower price-point.

John Lewis
Old January 15th 06, 12:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:07:17 -0000, "sacrum"
wrote:

"Romano C" wrote in message

"sacrum" je napisao u poruci interesnoj grupi:

Just taken delivery of a 7800GTX 512mb - been to 3d guru for
drivers...which is the best one right now for gaming (COD2, Quake 4,
etc)?

AMD A64 4400+ x2 (Toledo core 2x1mb L2 cache)
MSI K8N SLI Diamond (NF2 Chipset)
POC Nvidia GF7800GTX 512mb Extreme
2 x 512mb G.Skill DDR Ram PC4400 (DDR550)
Enermax PSU 600w
Watercooled CPU

Latest offcorse from official nvidia site.Cool configuration btw.

Thanks - got the 4400 @ 2.64ghz - very good cpu...

Yep, got my X2 4400+ running at 2.65GHz, air-cooled Zalman CNPS 9500
@ 1500RPM on A8N32-SLI motherboard. Prime 95, zero errors 24hr tests
all 3 default stress-tests, both cores 100% loaded with dual-instances
of Prime95. Nary a crash on intense 3D-games or pro applications.

John Lewis

Old January 15th 06, 12:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote:

Hi all,

Just taken delivery of a 7800GTX 512mb - been to 3d guru for
drivers...which
is the best one right now for gaming (COD2, Quake 4, etc)?

AMD A64 4400+ x2 (Toledo core 2x1mb L2 cache)
MSI K8N SLI Diamond (NF2 Chipset)
POC Nvidia GF7800GTX 512mb Extreme
2 x 512mb G.Skill DDR Ram PC4400 (DDR550)
Enermax PSU 600w
Watercooled CPU

Is this an advertisement of your wealth or a serious question ?

Yep
Actually the MSI is a NF4 chip-set.

Typo - well spotted!

See the nVidia site for the latest driver compatible with the
7800GTX512. Anything downloaded from 3dguru (or the nVidia BETA
archive) and not on the nVidia Release-page is BETA release, with
bugs not fully documented and your "mileage may vary" -- a
lot.......... The Release versions come with a full set of Release
Notes, documenting bugs fixed and still-outstanding known bugs.

Should have been more specific - A clean install of xp pro sp2 is slow
booting since install of x2 cpu - I believe its linked to graphics
driver...hoping a later release may resolve this issue.

BTW, nVidia has now finally announced that the 7800GTX512
is only a "limited release". Soon to be superseded by the
next-generation (G71 ?) at a much lower price-point.

And? Then no doubt I'll have one of those. I build custom gaming rigs and
test them before delivery.

John Lewis

Old January 15th 06, 11:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote:

[...]

What do you mean by slow ? Do you have a bunch of start-up
programs trying to load before the desktop is fully up.

Mine is NOT slow-booting. 45 seconds from power-on to Desktop.
A8N32-SLI motherboard, X2 , 7800GTX256, driver 81.98,
on-board audio, XPPro SP2. My previous system P4 Prescott 3.2GHz took
over 1 minute with earlier nVidia drivers 66.93 etc and a FX5900.

John Lewis