Off Topic -- Windows XP second Install?

Old December 25th 05, 05:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Off Topic -- Windows XP second Install?

Hi,

A few months ago I bought WinXP Home for my three year old PC. I've since
decided to build a new machine that should be finished by the end of
January.

I plan on buying a new 400Gb harddrive for the OS and use the hard drive in
my existing machine as well.

My question is, will I need to buy XP again, or will it allow me to install
on the new 400Gb harddisk providing I have the serial number (which I do).

Regards,
Jonathan.

Old December 25th 05, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In article , Midnight
Moocher says...
Hi,

A few months ago I bought WinXP Home for my three year old PC. I've since
decided to build a new machine that should be finished by the end of
January.

I plan on buying a new 400Gb harddrive for the OS and use the hard drive in
my existing machine as well.

My question is, will I need to buy XP again, or will it allow me to install
on the new 400Gb harddisk providing I have the serial number (which I do).

Legally you can only use it on one computer.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Old December 25th 05, 07:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

What Microsoft is interested in is that you legally own the software
and you have it installed on one machine only. If you want to run it
on two machines you will need two copies. They will require a new
authorization number as your hardware has drastically changed. When
you try and authorize it via your computer you will get a message
detailing the steps you need to go through. Involves a call to a an
800 number to verify that you actually own the software and you have
removed it from your old computer. I have done this a couple of times
with Windows XP Pro as I build a new machine every 1-2 years.

Regards

Old December 25th 05, 10:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Www.ttdown.com,

They will require a new
authorization number as your hardware has drastically changed.

Fwiw; they clear that database out every 120 days.
--

Jim
Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZASS 6.1, & WinXP Pro w/SP2

Old December 25th 05, 10:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

If you want to run it
on two machines you will need two copies. They will require a new
authorization number as your hardware has drastically changed

This, of course, is a bunch of crap. Simply follow the HowTo posted
he
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...4&m=1400925745

All that matters is the *spirit* of the Microsoft license: that you use one
copy of the software at a time on one computer, which is exactly what the OP
wants to do, if I read correctly.

rms

Old December 26th 05, 01:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I can only go my MY experience........legally one copy of XP per machine but
before I knew this I had installed the same copy of XP on 2 machines.After
reading numerous posts on the subject I found out that it is possible if you
have not "played/changed" (you can use it just dont change any parts) the
original computer for about 60 days you could get away with installing the
same copy of XP onto another computer and activate it but do not register
it.
I ran this way for quite awhile.Then I build another machine and bought
another copy of XP for the new machine.
I used parts of the old and had to reinstall the old XP onto the old Machine
and reactivate.That was 3 weeks ago....this week I bought a new
mobo/Ram/CPU/PSU and rebuild the old machine and reinstalled XP.......well
it would not let me "activate".....because it was too soon after the
machine to another and a new activation number.Then everything was
fine........until I uninstalled a sound card and installed a new one.Up came
the messsage that i had 3 days to activate....went thru the whole procedure
all over again...new number again.Now I am wondering if this re-activation
will re-occur every time I change anything??
The number they give you is a one time use only activation number..I had
tried punching in the 1st number they gave me and it would not activate.
So it seems that yes you can use the same copy depending upon the original
time of installation if it was an original store bought copy that did not
come with the computer ...but it is not legal to do so.
your choice.
unknown user

Old December 26th 05, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Hi,

A few months ago I bought WinXP Home for my three year old PC. I've since
decided to build a new machine that should be finished by the end of
January.

I plan on buying a new 400Gb harddrive for the OS and use the hard drive
in my existing machine as well.

My question is, will I need to buy XP again, or will it allow me to
install on the new 400Gb harddisk providing I have the serial number
(which I do).

Regards,
Jonathan.

Thanks for the advice. Seeing as I will be replacing the entire set-up
including the smaller sata HD (currently with XP installed), with all new
components, I don't think the following guide can help:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...4&m=1400925745
....though I was planning on using the smaller sata in the new system, it's
only on the basis that it's wiped and then used as a secondary drive.

I guess the easiest route is to get a new copy. My new system will be using
a 64-bit processor. I'm sure I read somewhere that Microsoft would be
providing a free update for existing XP users to a 64-bit system. Is this
right?

Old December 27th 05, 06:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

[...]

Only for Pro, Home didnt get mentioned in their announcement
Cliff

Old December 27th 05, 07:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Only for Pro, Home didnt get mentioned in their announcement
Cliff

Nor MCE, right?
Old December 28th 05, 01:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Dain Birlinksky wrote:

Only for Pro, Home didnt get mentioned in their announcement
Cliff

Nor MCE, right?

Doesn't matter anyway, the deadline passed a long time ago.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate