Yet another nVidia display driver that does not work.

Old December 27th 05, 03:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Yet another nVidia display driver that does not work.

"John Lewis" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 14:22:57 GMT, "McGrandpa"
wrote:

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
McGrandpa schrieb:

It probably is a problem that PSP has with these drivers in combination
with multiple processors. Did you contact the PSP support regarding the
issue?

Benjamin

Of course. So have a few dozen others I've seen. Corel say it's
nVidias
problem and to let them sort it out.

Well, that's what the Corel support is usually known for ;-) Probably
PSP
has issues with some of the new functions in the 8x.xx driver release.

I understand that people are angry because a program that worked before
doesn't work any more because of a new driver. But often enough it's not
as it seems to be. Just because PS doesn't work with 8x.xx drivers
doesn't
mean that the fault is on the driver. It's more likely that there is
some
error in PSP that only shows up with the new drivers. If it would be a
faulty driver, the fault would not be limited to PSP but to other
applications as well...

Benjamin

I know this. And am fairly sure the problem is in the PSP 9 and X code,
not
QUITE compliant with some CPU specs. But, no matter what I pointed out to
the Corel folks, they finally came and said that it is an nVidia driver
problem and they ain't fixin nuthin. Actually, I'm thinking it's
something
lacking in the Python libraries, and neither JASC or Corel can fix that.
JASC is gone now, bought up by Corel. They aren't quite as 'user
friendly'
a support crew.
I'll just keep trying each new 8x.xx driver until one works I guess.
McG.

Time to dump PSP. Obviously a very poorly supported program
incompatible with multiple-core/mutltiple-processor setups. Not
acceptable for a so-called "professional" program.

For a counter-example, I use Premiere Pro 1.5 ( multi-processor
support, of course) for my video work. Performs absolutely
flawlessly on my X2 /nForce 4 system, with any 8x.xx series
video driver (7800GTX).

John Lewis

PS CS2 runs fine with those drivers. So do several other graphics and 3D
apps I have. I just happen to LIKE PSP more. It's a lot easier and
faster to get around in. So, it's not time to dump PSP. There really
isn't anything that can compete with it, for my own use.
McG.

Old December 29th 05, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

De Moni schrieb:

What problems should that be? The 8x.xx drivers work great on my Dual
XEON system at home, and they also work flawlessly on the Dual XEON
and Dual dualcore Opteron workstations at work...

So if they work for YOU they must work for everyone?

Well, if it doesn't work for everyone, it must be the fault of the driver?

The fact that the driver _does_ work for me and also other people as
well should show that the problems you have aren't necessarily the fault
of the driver. If the driver would be faulty it wouldn't work anywhere...

By this reasoning the bolt on the Pinto that punched a hole in the gas tank
in rear-end collisions wasn't faulty design.

All you've determined is that it works with at least two specific chipsets.

Benjamin

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old December 29th 05, 08:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

J. Clarke schrieb:

The fact that the driver _does_ work for me and also other people as
well should show that the problems you have aren't necessarily the fault
of the driver. If the driver would be faulty it wouldn't work anywhere...

By this reasoning the bolt on the Pinto that punched a hole in the gas tank
in rear-end collisions wasn't faulty design.

All you've determined is that it works with at least two specific chipsets.

Well, it's a bit more than two chipsets because I know these drivers
work with several chipsets (i7525, i850, i860, i7205, nForce 4 SLI,
nForce 4 Pro, i975, VIA KT133A, i440BX, i440LX) and GPUs (GF3,
GF4Ti4200, Q4 750XGL, Q4 980XGL, GF FX5200, GF FX5600, GF FX5950, GF
6800GT, GF 7800GTX, Quadro FX 1100, Quadro FX 1300, Quadro FX 1400,
Quadro FX 3400, Quadro FX 4400), and in combination with a bunch of
programs...

And to use your argument: all the OP has determined is that the drivers
don't work with his specific computer (the combination of hardware and
software). That's it.

Fact is: _if_ the 8x.xx drivers would be as buggy as the OP claims then
_everyone_ who uses these drivers would have these bugs, don't you
think? Or do you believe that Nvidia spreads these bugs only to some few
users? The fact that these drivers _do_ work for lots of people with
similar hardware shows clearly that the OPs problem is not a bug in the
driver (if it would be a bug it would affect _everyone_ with similar
hardware) but a problem with either his hardware or his software (or a
combination of both)...

And not to forget: if there would be serious issues with the 8x.xx
drivers, don't you think that there would be more complaints around in
newsgroups, forums and also in the media?

Benjamin
Old December 30th 05, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

J. Clarke schrieb:

[...]

*EVERYONE* with a nvidia graphics card AND dual core (or dual cpu) AND runs
the nVidia 8x.xx drivers DOES find that Paint Shop Pro versions 9 and X
*WILL NOT RUN*. There have been NO exceptions to date.
Chipset doesn't matter. CPU brand doesn't matter.
McG.

Old December 30th 05, 12:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

McGrandpa schrieb:

[...]

Strange, I can't find the part where the OP has problems with running
PSP... ;-)

And to the PSP problem: I know that everyone who uses the 8x.xx drivers
and multiple cores/cpus has a problem with PSP. But this is probaby
related to a bug inside PSP and not in the 8x.xx drivers...

Benjamin
Old December 30th 05, 05:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

McGrandpa schrieb:

[...]

Looking back through the thread, you'd have to be speaking about the threads
originator?

And to the PSP problem: I know that everyone who uses the 8x.xx drivers
and multiple cores/cpus has a problem with PSP. But this is probaby
related to a bug inside PSP and not in the 8x.xx drivers...

Benjamin

And a number of us are still trying to coax Corel into taking *some*
responsibility for the issue and patch their code, and quit passing the
frickin buck. The bad part is that PSP 9 is no longer being patched as it
is replaced by PSP X which is not finding much acceptance with the
established PSP user base. It's PSP X that will be patched.
McG.