Yet another nVidia display driver that does not work.

Old December 25th 05, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Yet another computer that doesn't work (was: Yet another nVidia display driver that does not work.)

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote in message
default schrieb:

Every 8x.xx driver has behaved the same including the new 81.98. During
install, the screen goes black with a blinking cursor in the top left and
the computer hangs. If I install the driver from safe mode, then the
driver installs ok, but on rebooting back to normal mode, the computer
hangs with a black screen.

And why do you think that this is a problem with the drivers? FYI: all the
8x.xx drivers worked just fine on my computers. If they were faulty as you
claim they wouldn't. But the fact that they work fine on millions of
computer but not on yours should have brought you to the concolusion that
it's a fault of your system or from you but definitely not the drivers

Drivers up to and including 78.05 work just great.

For those who are interested, this is the relevant setup.

Windows XP Professional.
Tyan S2466N-4M mainboard.
AMD 762 northbridge, AMD 768 southbridge
Dual Athlon-MP 2600+ CPUs
2GB ECC registered RAM
BFG GF6800GT-OC 256MB AGP video card.

The 81.98 driver will load with a GF4 4200ti card but not with the
6800GT.

Ever thought about that perhaps it's your video card that cases the
problems? Certainly not.

Will they ever fix it so I can get the "improved dual CPU and dual core
performance"?

Why should they fix what ain't broken?

Benjamin

i think that it really is the 8x.xx driver Benjamin. Honest. There are too
many other problems related to this driver and dual core/dual socket
systems. It IS a new one, a rig not even starting with it though.
McG.

Old December 25th 05, 06:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"John Lewis" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:42:02 GMT, "McGrandpa"
wrote:

"Eric Booth" wrote in message

"@sh" wrote in message
The driver works fine...its your PC that doesn't!!!

Try booting into safe mode, remove all current NVidia drivers, reboot
back into normal mode and try reinstalling them again.

Cheers, Ash
I have a Leadtek 7800GT card and Leadtek only recommend the 77.77
driver.
It is OK but as I have an Intel Dual core CPU I am puzzled that they
dont
recommend the latest nVidia driver
Eric Booth

Because there are problems with the nvidia 8x.xx drivers and dual core and
multi socket cpu's.

Really ? I'm not quite sure what you mean by multi-socket ( .. server
boards perhaps.. ?). However with a desktop/single-socket, multi-core
CPU system, I haven't noticed anything traumatic.

X2 4400+, 7800GTX/81.98, Win XP, A8N32-SLI (nForce4) Bios0502 or
0805.

More likely a MB BIOS issue for those with problems.

Software that doesn't do too well with HT is also likely to fail with
dual-core. Use Set Affinity for such problems.

John Lewis

McG.

done that. tried several different workarounds. Best results are to roll
back to my 77.77 drivers. The problem I see the most (mostly because of the
Corel newsgroups inhabitants problems) is that with a dual core CPU and also
multi socket mainboard, nvidia 8x.xx drivers, Paint Shop Pro v's 9 and X
will not run with hardware acceleration ON in troubleshooting tab. No
problems running PSP 9 and X with 7x.xx drivers though. nvidias latest
release of 81.98 release notes state specifically that PSP X not running
with dual core cpu's is fixed. It is not.
McG.

Old December 25th 05, 06:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
What problems should that be? The 8x.xx drivers work great on my Dual
XEON system at home, and they also work flawlessly on the Dual XEON and
Dual dualcore Opteron workstations at work...

So if they work for YOU they must work for everyone? I wonder why the
hell did they have to put some crappy feature like Direct Access into
8x.xx drivers? As long as it's there, making my monitor to lose the
signal every time resolution/refresh rate is changed, I'm stuck with
78.05. Unless my g'ol monitor goes BANG and I'll have to get a new one
that perhaps would work OK with that feature...
Old December 25th 05, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

McGrandpa schrieb:

Because there are problems with the nvidia 8x.xx drivers and dual core
and multi socket cpu's.

What problems should that be? The 8x.xx drivers work great on my Dual XEON
system at home, and they also work flawlessly on the Dual XEON and Dual
dualcore Opteron workstations at work...

Benjamin

Ok, with those drivers loaded with those systems, try installing or running
Paint Shop Pro 9 and/or X. I betcha it won't happen

I've read of several problems with the 8x.xx drivers and dual core cpu's,
but this is the only one I seem to have with them. Thing is, that's a
showstopper for me. I can run and do everything and anything I want to,
including playing the big games. But, I can't run PSP 9 and X, and I
usually run them side by side, scanning and working on images. I am with
my PSP's like a lot of folks are with PS CS/CS2. Gotta have it.
I wish I knew where exactly the problem was in those drivers. Not like I
could fix em though.
McG.

Old December 25th 05, 08:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

De Moni schrieb:

What problems should that be? The 8x.xx drivers work great on my Dual
XEON system at home, and they also work flawlessly on the Dual XEON
and Dual dualcore Opteron workstations at work...

So if they work for YOU they must work for everyone?

Well, if it doesn't work for everyone, it must be the fault of the driver?

The fact that the driver _does_ work for me and also other people as
well should show that the problems you have aren't necessarily the fault
of the driver. If the driver would be faulty it wouldn't work anywhere...

Benjamin
Old December 25th 05, 08:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

McGrandpa schrieb:

Ok, with those drivers loaded with those systems, try installing or running
Paint Shop Pro 9 and/or X. I betcha it won't happen

I don't use PNP...

I've read of several problems with the 8x.xx drivers and dual core cpu's,
but this is the only one I seem to have with them. Thing is, that's a
showstopper for me. I can run and do everything and anything I want to,
including playing the big games. But, I can't run PSP 9 and X, and I
usually run them side by side, scanning and working on images. I am with
my PSP's like a lot of folks are with PS CS/CS2. Gotta have it.
I wish I knew where exactly the problem was in those drivers.

It probably is a problem that PSP has with these drivers in combination
with multiple processors. Did you contact the PSP support regarding the
issue?

Benjamin
Old December 26th 05, 12:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

McGrandpa schrieb:

Ok, with those drivers loaded with those systems, try installing or
running Paint Shop Pro 9 and/or X. I betcha it won't happen

I don't use PNP...

I've read of several problems with the 8x.xx drivers and dual core cpu's,
but this is the only one I seem to have with them. Thing is, that's a
showstopper for me. I can run and do everything and anything I want to,
including playing the big games. But, I can't run PSP 9 and X, and I
usually run them side by side, scanning and working on images. I am
with my PSP's like a lot of folks are with PS CS/CS2. Gotta have it.
I wish I knew where exactly the problem was in those drivers.

It probably is a problem that PSP has with these drivers in combination
with multiple processors. Did you contact the PSP support regarding the
issue?

Benjamin

Of course. So have a few dozen others I've seen. Corel say it's nVidias
problem and to let them sort it out.
McG.

Old December 26th 05, 01:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

McGrandpa schrieb:

It probably is a problem that PSP has with these drivers in combination
with multiple processors. Did you contact the PSP support regarding the
issue?

Benjamin

Of course. So have a few dozen others I've seen. Corel say it's nVidias
problem and to let them sort it out.

Well, that's what the Corel support is usually known for ;-) Probably
PSP has issues with some of the new functions in the 8x.xx driver release.

I understand that people are angry because a program that worked before
doesn't work any more because of a new driver. But often enough it's not
as it seems to be. Just because PS doesn't work with 8x.xx drivers
doesn't mean that the fault is on the driver. It's more likely that
there is some error in PSP that only shows up with the new drivers. If
it would be a faulty driver, the fault would not be limited to PSP but
to other applications as well...

Benjamin
Old December 26th 05, 02:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

McGrandpa schrieb:

[...]

I know this. And am fairly sure the problem is in the PSP 9 and X code, not
QUITE compliant with some CPU specs. But, no matter what I pointed out to
the Corel folks, they finally came and said that it is an nVidia driver
problem and they ain't fixin nuthin. Actually, I'm thinking it's something
lacking in the Python libraries, and neither JASC or Corel can fix that.
JASC is gone now, bought up by Corel. They aren't quite as 'user friendly'
a support crew.
I'll just keep trying each new 8x.xx driver until one works I guess.
McG.

Old December 26th 05, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

McGrandpa schrieb:

[...]

Time to dump PSP. Obviously a very poorly supported program
incompatible with multiple-core/mutltiple-processor setups. Not
acceptable for a so-called "professional" program.

For a counter-example, I use Premiere Pro 1.5 ( multi-processor
support, of course) for my video work. Performs absolutely
flawlessly on my X2 /nForce 4 system, with any 8x.xx series
video driver (7800GTX).

John Lewis