7800gtx antialiasing problem

Old December 15th 05, 03:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default 7800gtx antialiasing problem

Hi, i have a little problem with my videocard. It's an asus 7800gtx (not
o/c). Drivers version 81.95. Motherboard is an intel 955.

In some games i've noticed a line just a pixel wide on top and left of the
screen that is incorrectly displayed. I don't know how to explain it so i've
included some captures.

It only happens with antialiasing enabled. Captures only differ in that
thing. Correctly displayed = aa off. Strange line on top and left = aa on.

I've tested it with different drivers and configurations with same result. I
also have played a little with rivatuner but no result.
It seems to happen only in some direct3d games, games based on opengl like
quake 4 and doom 3 or call of duty are not affected.

Captures are enlarged top left corners

NFS most wanted aa on

http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nfson1ks.jpg

NFS most wanted aa off

http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nfsoff6ot.jpg

Dawn of war aa on

http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dowon3or.jpg

Dawn of war aa off

http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dowoff2et.jpg

These are just two examples, it happens in more games like gta san andreas,
nhl06,...
Has anybody noticed these lines or do i have a problem with drivers or a
defective card?
I'd appreciate if anybody can check this out with his videocard.
It can be better noticed with enlarged captures.

Thanks for your help

Old December 17th 05, 06:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Dunno if it's any consolation, but FIA GTR will not run ... period ... with
AA enabled (this "feature" :-) is not video card related). And that's one
good use of "active profile" I guess ... no AA for GTR.

Old December 20th 05, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Now that's just being tightassed about image precision...

It's probably just the very nature of anti-aliasing, since the operation
jitters [most commonly] 4 pixel samples and displays their average; there's
also a bit of gamma correction going on. The topmost row and left most
columns are probably the first in the image array and thus don't have the
full range of "source" pixels to draw from.

Try a different anti-aliasing mode (2x, 4x, 4xS, 8x, etc.) and see if the
band disappears. If you have a CRT monitor, just use your monitor's pan and
zoom controls to push it over the edge of the screen area.