Opinions wanted on new system config.

Old November 23rd 05, 04:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit

Default Opinions wanted on new system config.

I'm about ready to do a system upgrade and I'm looking for some
opinions on my options.
I use the machine for mostly general stuff, some games, and some still
photo and video editing.

My current system is an Abit BE7, with a P4 2.2Ghz CPU. I've been happy
with the Abit motherboards and would like to stay with them.

Some of the things that are driving my selection are that I have 1.5G
of DDR PC3200 RAM (Samsung CL3 chips) and an ATI Radeon AGP based
video/tv tuner card (All in Wonder 8500) that I would like to keep.

I'm currently running XP SP2, but would like to go with a processor
that supports 64 bit version (for future). I'd like to go with a dual
core system, but the Abit motherboards that support Intel's dual core
are all DDR2 and PCIExpress (no AGP) boards so I would have to replace
the RAM and video.

Within my price range, and keeping the items I want to retain, I've
narrowed my choices down to the following:

AS8 with a Pentium 4 650 3.4Ghz Intel 865PE chipset.

AV8 with an Athlon 3800+ 64 X2 dual core, VIA K8T800 chipset

I've always used the Intel chips, but am leaning toward the AMD system
due to the dual core capability and the various reports of better
performance and lower heat than the Intel chips.

I am not in any way trying to bash AMD, but I've had no personal
experience with their CPU's and the Via chipset. Are there any issues
related to AMD/VIA systems? Also, I know CPU clock speed isn't
everything, but is the AMD 3800+ at 2.0Ghz comprable to the Pentium 4
at 3.4Ghz? Intel has a larger L2 cache, but AMD's L1 is bigger. How
much of a difference does that make? I would imagine the AMD dual core
outperforms Intel's Hyperthreading.

I realize that either system would work for what I need, but both
configurations are about the same price and I'd like to get the best
performance for my money.

I have done some Google searching, and found all kinds of benchmark
tests comparing Intel and AMD, but nothing specific to my choices and I
am just looking for some opinions on what I've come up with.

Thanks.

- Mike O.

Old November 27th 05, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:23:34 -0800, mso999 wrote:

Within my price range, and keeping the items I want to retain, I've
narrowed my choices down to the following:

AS8 with a Pentium 4 650 3.4Ghz Intel 865PE chipset.

AV8 with an Athlon 3800+ 64 X2 dual core, VIA K8T800 chipset

I've always used the Intel chips, but am leaning toward the AMD system

I am not in any way trying to bash AMD, but I've had no personal
experience with their CPU's and the Via chipset. Are there any issues
related to AMD/VIA systems? Also, I know CPU clock speed isn't

VIA is OK but straight out the box installs tend to default to preferring
Intel.

IOW I like the 865PE - Running it here w/ P4 3Ghz CPU, 800MHz FSB.
Old November 27th 05, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit

"Ron Gibson" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:23:34 -0800, mso999 wrote:

Within my price range, and keeping the items I want to retain, I've
narrowed my choices down to the following:

AS8 with a Pentium 4 650 3.4Ghz Intel 865PE chipset.

AV8 with an Athlon 3800+ 64 X2 dual core, VIA K8T800 chipset

I've always used the Intel chips, but am leaning toward the AMD system

I am not in any way trying to bash AMD, but I've had no personal
experience with their CPU's and the Via chipset. Are there any issues
related to AMD/VIA systems? Also, I know CPU clock speed isn't

VIA is OK but straight out the box installs tend to default to preferring
Intel.

IOW I like the 865PE - Running it here w/ P4 3Ghz CPU, 800MHz FSB.

I'm not sure what you mean by "..straight out the box installs..." Are you
talking about Windows? I always assume any initial installation is going to
have issues until the drivers are updated, configured, etc.

I've always been using Intel CPU/Chipsets, and would normally stick with
Intel, but I like the idea of getting a dual core processor without having
to purchase new RAM & video. The ABIT Intel dual core motherboards all
require DDR2 & PCI Express video. That puts the price for the system
upgrade of of my range.

Also, AMD and VIA are a lot more "standard" now then they used to be when
they first started out.

As I said, I'm leaning to the AMD, but was looking for any feedback on the
configurations described and possibly if someone's using the AMD config, are
there any major (or minor) issues involved.

Mike O.

Old December 8th 05, 03:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:34:05 +0000, Mike O'Donnell wrote:

VIA is OK but straight out the box installs tend to default to
preferring
Intel.

IOW I like the 865PE - Running it here w/ P4 3Ghz CPU, 800MHz FSB.

I'm not sure what you mean by "..straight out the box installs..." Are you
talking about Windows? I always assume any initial installation is going to
have issues until the drivers are updated, configured, etc.

Yes and yes.

I've always been using Intel CPU/Chipsets, and would normally stick with
Intel, but I like the idea of getting a dual core processor without having
to purchase new RAM & video. The ABIT Intel dual core motherboards all
require DDR2 & PCI Express video. That puts the price for the system
upgrade of of my range.

You may have other issues. I prefer Linux myself and except for the very
latest implementations it covers about everything using the default
kernel installation option.

Intel has been good in being consistent. Support for about all of their
stuff is solid.
Old April 30th 07, 04:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
stanley

i think agp is going to fade away as pcie is so much faster..i have a
ati aiw 7500 agp card. the ram you have 3200 is going to seem slower as
time goes by too as ram gets faster all the time. you may have a
bottleneck at the ram and video card

opinions wanted CameronK General 5 July 4th 05 08:51 PM
Newbie: OC Advice: AMDXP2200 CPU Donald Bock Overclocking AMD Processors 2 March 12th 05 01:14 AM
First Build - Opinions wanted nic087 Homebuilt PC's 8 March 6th 05 05:17 AM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 06:38 AM
120 gb is the Largest hard drive I can put in my 4550? David H. Lipman Dell Computers 65 December 11th 03 02:51 PM