Unable to install Nvidia drivers under Win98

Old October 28th 05, 07:46 AM
Norbert

Default Unable to install Nvidia drivers under Win98

Hi,

I got a problem with my old system (probably my own stupidity): I've a
pretty old system (PIII, 500MHz, Win98SE, TNT2) with Nvidia drivers
41.xx installed and DX9.0c. Everything was OK.

Then I decided to upgrade the graphics card driver to 77.72. Setup
didn't want to install it, claiming that there were no Nvidia chips in
the system. I followed then the Nvidia instructions to uninstall old
drivers and tried again. No luck. Next I tried an older version (66.94)
which started to install and then asked for a file called directx.cpl,
I believe on something called "Nvidia driver installation disk #1".

As there was no such file, I took all graphics driver files (including
the directx.cpl) from my system backup and copied them to the
appropriate place in the systems directory. Now the system boots
correctly (as far as I can tell from the Win start and shutdown
sounds), except that the display hangs after the Win splash screen.

I suspect I broke the something between DX and the driver when
uninstalling them. Any idea how I can correctly reinstall the driver?

Thanks,
Norbert

Old October 28th 05, 12:56 PM
Ginchy

There is a prog on their site to clean out old drivers to allow you a nice
clean install!

ups.com...

Old October 29th 05, 07:50 AM

Hi Norbert,

maybe this thread is helpful:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...b3b97c51c86117

I have quite the same system as you and the conclusion there (well at
least for me): The newest driver are not working well with older
computer/graphic hardware.

Also: install Direct X 9.0c again and before the driver. Maybe it
helps.

European

Old October 29th 05, 11:37 AM
Robert Gault

Norbert wrote:

[...]

It seems you did not follow the nVidia instructions which don't ask for
Setup to be used for Win98.

"Installation instructions
-------------------------
Windows 98
----------

To prepare for installation of the drivers

1 Start Microsoft Windows 98.
2 Click the Start button, point to Settings, and click Control Panel.
3 Double-click Display, and click the Settings tab.
4 Click Advanced, click the Adapter tab, then click Change.
5 Click Next, click Display a list of all the drivers in a specific
location, so
you can select the driver you want, then click Next.
6 Select Show all Hardware button, then select the Standard display
types from
the Manufacturers list.
7 Select Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) from the list, then select
Next.
8 Click Next to install the driver, then click Finish.
9 Click Apply, then click Close.
10 Click Yes when Windows asks if you wish to restart the computer.

To install the drivers
1 Click the Start button, point to Settings, and click Control Panel.
2 Double-click Display, and click the Settings tab.
3 Click Advanced, click the Adapter tab, then click Change.
4 Click Next, click Display a list of all the drivers in a specific
location, so
you can select the driver you want, then click Next.
5 Click Have Disk, select or type the path to the folder containing the
driver
files, then click OK.
Windows should find files for your NVIDIA graphics chip. If Windows
cannot
find the files, check that the path name for the driver files is correct.
6 If Windows found the files, click OK, then click Next.
Windows copies the files to the hard disk.
7 Click Finish, click Apply, then click Close.
8 Click Yes when Windows asks if you wish to restart the computer."

Boot into safe mode and change the video driver as above to PCI VGA,
reboot and remove all nVidia drivers via Control Panel Add/Remove. Then
look in Windows\INF\Others and delete any nVidia entries. Reinstall
DirectX 9c, and then follow the above nVidia installation procedure.
Old October 30th 05, 03:45 PM
Greg T

I don't think the newer drivers support older cards. Check Nvidia site to
find the latest drivers that will support the TNT2. Greg T

Old October 30th 05, 03:51 PM
Greg T

Check this link to see what cards are supported.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/77.72_9x_supported.html Greg T

news