nForce4 firewall

Old October 14th 05, 01:46 AM
Martin Vorbrodt

Default nForce4 firewall

on any setting but "antyhacking only", i can't use windowx xp remote desktop
when using nvidia activearmor firewall. any ideas?

Old October 14th 05, 07:28 AM
Dazzer

You have to enable the port for this service, or just disable the firewall
when actually using remote desktop (easiest option).

Dazzer

Old October 14th 05, 09:23 AM
Nikonja

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:28:46 GMT, Dazzer wrote:

You have to enable the port for this service, or just disable the firewall
when actually using remote desktop (easiest option).

Dazzer

"Martin Vorbrodt" wrote in message
on any setting but "antyhacking only", i can't use windowx xp remote
desktop when using nvidia activearmor firewall. any ideas?

No you have to unistall that stupid firewall and install some other like
zone alarm and all will work just fine. I perssonaly hate that stupid
firewall and I still can't figure out how is that it consumes less procesor
power when it has like 5-6 diferent proceseces runing in the same time and
zone alarm has 2 !!!???
Old October 14th 05, 12:27 PM
Sune Storgaard

Nikonja wrote:
No you have to unistall that stupid firewall and install some other
like zone alarm and all will work just fine.

ZA is what i could call a stupid firewall

I perssonaly hate that
stupid firewall and I still can't figure out how is that it consumes
less procesor power when it has like 5-6 diferent proceseces runing
in the same time and zone alarm has 2 !!!???

Its very simple, *amount* of processes/threads arent equal to cpuload.
5000 processes can easely give less load than 1.
The nv firewall utilizes hardware specifically written for it, and thereby
reduces cpuload further.

I know its offtopic in here, just wanted to get some facts straight.

--
This episode is called: "an elephant ****s a pig".
But the networks had it changed to "an elephant makes love to a pig".

Old October 14th 05, 08:49 PM
Nikonja

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:27:44 +0200, Sune Storgaard wrote:

Nikonja wrote:
No you have to unistall that stupid firewall and install some other
like zone alarm and all will work just fine.

ZA is what i could call a stupid firewall

Maby you call it stupid one but the fact is, which you can verify on your
own, that is one of the best software firewall out there and not only by my
opinion but the major software sites !
Old October 14th 05, 11:23 PM
Quaestor

Nikonja wrote:

No you have to unistall that stupid firewall and install some other like
zone alarm and all will work just fine. I perssonaly hate that stupid
firewall and I still can't figure out how is that it consumes less procesor
power when it has like 5-6 diferent proceseces runing in the same time and
zone alarm has 2 !!!???

Did you read any of the documentation?

The key words are "separate firewall processor." It runs on a separate
processor. Not on the CPU. So it does not matter how many things it is
doing, it does them entirely without impacting the CPU at all.

Try to understand superior technology before misadvising others to
condemn it.

The nvidia firewall works great, better than any program run on the same
cpu.

--
Godwin is a net-nazi
Old October 15th 05, 12:57 AM
Andrew

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:49:09 +0200, Nikonja
wrote:

Maby you call it stupid one but the fact is, which you can verify on your
own, that is one of the best software firewall out there and not only by my
opinion but the major software sites !

Yeah, and all I see is people in newsgroups complaining about this and
that not working, and the solution is all too often to get rid of ZA.
It is a frigging liablity.
Old October 15th 05, 02:03 AM
Benjamin Gawert

Quaestor schrieb:

Try to understand superior technology before misadvising others to
condemn it.

The nvidia firewall works great, better than any program run on the same
cpu.

Well, it doesn't:
http://fileismissing.blogspot.com/2005/09/nvidia-nforce-4-active-armor-firewall.html

The Nvidia Firewall is shredding ftp data. I don't know if Nvidia
already fixed that, though...

But I agree that so-called Firewalls that run on the same computer
usually are crap. The best solution is still a stateful inspection
firewall in a separate hardware device (i.e. in a broadband router, or a
separate device like a PIX)...

Benjamin

Old October 16th 05, 04:30 AM
Robert Hancock

Quaestor wrote:
Nikonja wrote:

No you have to unistall that stupid firewall and install some other like
zone alarm and all will work just fine. I perssonaly hate that stupid
firewall and I still can't figure out how is that it consumes less
procesor
power when it has like 5-6 diferent proceseces runing in the same
time and
zone alarm has 2 !!!???

Did you read any of the documentation?

The key words are "separate firewall processor." It runs on a separate
processor. Not on the CPU. So it does not matter how many things it is
doing, it does them entirely without impacting the CPU at all.

Try to understand superior technology before misadvising others to
condemn it.

The nvidia firewall works great, better than any program run on the same
cpu.

It will presumably have lower CPU utilization than other software
firewalls. However it is still likely more trouble-free to use a
separate broadband router to provide firewall protection.

The NVIDIA firewall has been problematic/buggy for many people.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from