geforce 256 - 1.5v?

Old September 20th 05, 05:26 AM
Ed Light

Default geforce 256 - 1.5v?

Is the geforce 256 a 1.5v or a 3v card?
Thanks.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old September 20th 05, 08:52 AM
Kokoro

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Ed Light ordered an army of hamsters
to type:

Is the geforce 256 a 1.5v or a 3v card?
Thanks.

Have a look at the teeth on the card.

http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/...atibility.html
Old September 20th 05, 12:50 PM
Conor

In article 0cMXe.253962$E95.48247@fed1read01, Ed Light says...
Is the geforce 256 a 1.5v or a 3v card?

3.3V and you need at least a 300W PSU.

--
Conor

Michael Park 1966-2005. World Rallying will miss you. God bless.
Old September 20th 05, 07:21 PM
Phil Weldon

Why? Certainly not because of the display adapter, as a GeForce 256 doesn't
draw much power.

t...

Old September 20th 05, 09:52 PM
Ed Light

I guess it must be 1.5v since it's 4x. I don't have the card handy.

At least she won't fit in the wrong slot.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old September 20th 05, 10:56 PM
deimos

Phil Weldon wrote:
Why? Certainly not because of the display adapter, as a GeForce 256 doesn't
draw much power.

"Conor" wrote in message
t...

In article 0cMXe.253962$E95.48247@fed1read01, Ed Light says...

Is the geforce 256 a 1.5v or a 3v card?

3.3V and you need at least a 300W PSU.

--
Conor

Michael Park 1966-2005. World Rallying will miss you. God bless.

The original did draw quite a bit for its time, but a GF DDR or GF2 will
run quite easily even on cheap 200w PSU's. You're much more likely to
suffer power problems from running an old power hungry CPU (TBird, etc)
with multiple hard drives and fans.
Old September 20th 05, 11:45 PM
Conor

In article t, Phil
Weldon says...
Why? Certainly not because of the display adapter, as a GeForce 256 doesn't
draw much power.

You ARE kidding aren't you? Guess you never owned one.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Old September 21st 05, 03:39 AM
Ed Light

Any idea of the amps on the various rails?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Fight Spam:
http://bluesecurity.com

Old September 21st 05, 05:37 AM
Phil Weldon

'Ed Light' wrote:
| Any idea of the amps on the various rails?Evidently 'Connor' doesn't, or
he wouldn't have made the post he did.

Back in the days of the GeForce256 as the biggest and baddest (late 1999),
it was a jump in performance and power consumption from the TNT2. But by
standards of today, the GeForce256 isn't a big power draw. The GPU chip for
the GeForce256 draws a whopping 16 Watts. If your GeForce256 has one slot
cut into the AGP connection fingers nearer the VGA connector it draws power
from the 3.3 volt supply. There should be an on card voltage
convertor/regulator to supply the voltages needed by the GPU, memory, and
interface chips. Figure less than 10 Amperes from the 3.3 volt rail,
nothing from any other rails. Only you know what else your system contains.
Depending on the other components go, there may almost nothing else
connected to the 3.3 volt rail.

Phil Weldon

newsJ3Ye.257898$E95.149465@fed1read01...

Old September 21st 05, 06:18 AM
Ed Light

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
nk.net...
'Ed Light' wrote:
| Any idea of the amps on the various rails?Evidently 'Connor' doesn't, or
he wouldn't have made the post he did.

Whoa -- the part after the question mark wasn't me. I only wrote "Any idea