UPDATE: Ray artifacts on 6800gt

Old September 6th 05, 01:16 PM
Philb

Default UPDATE: Ray artifacts on 6800gt

Original post...

Has anyone seen this type of thing before,

here's an example
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/995/screen0054da.jpg

I've just bought a Leadtek winfast a400gt tdh

It's played Doom3 and Farcry great but I'm getting this type of artifact
when playing Prince of Persia 2.

The game doesn't freeze but these 'rays' are showing up everywhere, I've
tried different drivers for the card and updated my via 4in1 drivers.

I'm running an athlon3000xp on a jetway polaris 400 mobo.

Any ideas guys?

Update.....

Well I sent the Leadtek card back and it has been replaced with an XFX
version. 6800gt

The xfx seems to be working fine, I sent Prince of Persia2 back with the
Leadtek bundle so I can't test that game but 3dmark03 ran without any
artifacts.

So all initial signs are good.

When I first bought the pc it had a Sparkle 5600xt card in, this gave me
problems on some games at the time, (No-one Lives Forever 2) although
Call of Duty ran fine. I returned the base and they replaced the card
with an XFX 5600xt version.

This time I updated to a Leadtek 6800gt which had to be returned because
some games were corrupt (POP2) although Doom3 ran fine. Now the Leadtek
has been replaced by an XFX 6800gt an all looks sweet again.

I don't know if I have been unlucky with the sparkle and leadtek brand
but if I ever look for another card for a mobo with VIA chipsets I'd
definately go for the XFX brand.

I'm not implying other don't work with VIA but from experience XFX has
came to the rescue twice now.

Phil
Old September 7th 05, 02:29 AM
deimos

Philb wrote:
[...]

Other than a bad card (which is possible), disable Fast Writes in your
BIOS and see if you still get artifacting or corruption. So long as
you're using the newest drivers (78.01 or 78.03), artifacts are usually
attributed to hardware problems (such as Fast Writes, bad RAM, damaged
chip, overclocking, inadequate power, incompatible motherboard chipsets,
etc).
Old September 7th 05, 04:36 AM
BigJIm

I was using a asus sis board with a 6600gt and was getting artifacts.
I did some research and found that via and sis chipset boards have this
problem.
I changed my board to an Intel based chipset asus p4p800se and all the
artifacts are gone
even when I overclock the video card. Now I am only suggesting that this may
be the case.

.uk...