Should I use Standby mode??

Old July 22nd 05, 05:16 PM
MB_

Default Should I use Standby mode??

I have a 2400 system. It is generally on all day.

I use it quite a bit, but there are lengthy periods (1-6 hours) where it
doesn't get used.

Should I get in the habit of putting it in standby when I anticipate such a
lengthy non-use period??

Also, is there a way for me to create a hot-key combo to put it in standby??
I prefer not to set the power switch to do this.

Mel

Old July 22nd 05, 05:36 PM
Ted Zieglar

You troublemaker, you. Whether or not to leave a desktop computer on or off,
or to put it in Standby or Hibernation, is one of the longest running
arguments-without-a-correct-answer in the history of usenet. It's a matter
of preference.

Laptops are a different story, because they typically run on batteries.
Standby (and Hibernation) were designed to help laptop users conserve their
battery power. In a desktop, it's completely up to you.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

Old July 22nd 05, 05:56 PM
Jerry Park

MB_ wrote:

I have a 2400 system. It is generally on all day.

I use it quite a bit, but there are lengthy periods (1-6 hours) where it
doesn't get used.

Should I get in the habit of putting it in standby when I anticipate such a
lengthy non-use period??

Also, is there a way for me to create a hot-key combo to put it in standby??
I prefer not to set the power switch to do this.

Mel

I am not familiar with your particular system. Is it a desktop or laptop?

There is really no reason to put a desktop into standby or hibernation
except power savings -- which isn't much savings.

In standby, the system continues to use power. I wouldn't use that for a
laptop.

I have an Inspiron 8200 laptop. I usually use hibernate rather than
shutting the system down when I am not using it. The only reason I
hibernate rather than shutdown is the startup time. If you put a laptop
into standby and then put it in a case to carry somewhere, you will find
that it has gotten VERY hot, as the system is using power but the fans
aren't working (and can't cool anyway in a case).

Old July 22nd 05, 06:56 PM
Tom Scales

"MB_" wrote in message
I have a 2400 system. It is generally on all day.

I use it quite a bit, but there are lengthy periods (1-6 hours) where it
doesn't get used.

Should I get in the habit of putting it in standby when I anticipate such
a lengthy non-use period??

Also, is there a way for me to create a hot-key combo to put it in
standby??
I prefer not to set the power switch to do this.

Mel

Mel,

Just go into Power Settings in Control Panel and set it to automatically go
into Standby if it isn't used for a period of time.

You can setup a hotkey, but I don't remember the particular command.
Google it and you'll find it.

Tom

Old July 22nd 05, 10:28 PM
Tim

Instead of a screen saver why not just have it turn off the Monitor. That is
what uses the most power. Tim
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
. ..

Old July 23rd 05, 02:57 AM
MB_

Wow folks, very interesting answers.

Maybe I should just leave it on!!!
(The screensaver goes on after awhile and then the monitor goes off after
awhile)

Mel
"Tim" wrote in message news:_xdEe.75$Sr2.29@trndny03...
Instead of a screen saver why not just have it turn off the Monitor. That
is what uses the most power. Tim
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
. ..

Old July 23rd 05, 08:21 PM
John Fryatt

MB_ wrote:
I have a 2400 system. It is generally on all day.

I use it quite a bit, but there are lengthy periods (1-6 hours) where it
doesn't get used.

Should I get in the habit of putting it in standby when I anticipate such a
lengthy non-use period??

Also, is there a way for me to create a hot-key combo to put it in standby??
I prefer not to set the power switch to do this.

I don't know of a hot key but you can do it through the 'turn off
computer' function from the Start menu in Windows XP (and 98 etc. if I
remember correctly).