WinXP Standby Mode Problem?

Old July 21st 05, 03:50 AM
Charliec

Default WinXP Standby Mode Problem?

I'm trying to take advantage of the Standby Mode in WinXP, but am running
into some hardware problems that is preventing the PC from going into
Standby mode. At first, it was a printer port logical interface that was
preventing Standby and that was solved by disable the Printer Port Logical
Interface. Now the message I get when attempting to go into Standby is
"the Standard 101/102 key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 is preventing the
Standby mode". Has anyone experience this particular problem and have a
workaround that you can share.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with the standard Dell keyboard and mouse.
Thanks for any insights.
Charlie
Charliec
Old July 21st 05, 04:07 AM
Ted Zieglar

Someone may post with a response to your particular problem. However, you
should know that, in general, Standby and Hibernation were designed for
laptop computers, which use very different hardware. You will always be able
to put your computer into Standby (or Hibernation) manually, but you may not
be consistently (or at all) able to have your computer enter these states
automatically.

Ted Zieglar

Old July 21st 05, 11:30 AM
Tom Scales

Ted,

Absolutely and completely disagree with you. Perhaps in 1997, but not in
2005. With XP being as stable as it is, we put my wife's machine into
standby every night. No need to reboot and reload you applications every
day. Just move the mouse and it wakes right up.

Now, to the original question, the keyboard shouldn't be causing you any
problems at all. What particular keyboard is it? Does it have its own
special drivers?

I'd start from bare bones. Disconnect everything that can be disconnected.
Use a standard, generic keyboard. Get it working, then add things back on
at a time.

Tom

Old July 21st 05, 12:43 PM
WSZsr

I've been using Standby on my desktops since Win98. I set power options to
shut down the monitor after 10 minutes, the hard drives after 15 minutes and
it goes into standby after 20 minutes of inactivity. Totally silent while
in standby. Just make sure your drivers are current.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote in message
Someone may post with a response to your particular problem. However, you
should know that, in general, Standby and Hibernation were designed for
laptop computers, which use very diffeWorks great!rent hardware. You will

Old July 21st 05, 02:20 PM
Ted Zieglar

Tom:

My 4500 is circa 2002, not 1997, and the issues faced by desktop computers
in dealing with Standby and Hibernation are well known. It's not a question
of XP's "stability"...it's about the different types of hardware and the
implementation of ACPI.

I put my 4500 into Standby every night with two taps: one on the Power
switch and the second on the Enter key. 'Waking up' takes one tap on the
Power switch. For some reason, it takes significantly less time to come out
of Standby since I installed SP 2, but I ain't complainin' {:-

Hope your wife is doing better.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

. ..

Old July 21st 05, 02:23 PM
Ted Zieglar

You would expect your computer to be "totally silent" in Standby (S3). With
no fans and no disks spinning, what else is there to be noisy? Well, there's
always my mother-in-law, but let's not go there.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

.. .

Old July 21st 05, 06:31 PM
Charliec

Thanks Tom and WSZsr for your replies. I have the Dell Standard Keyboard
that came with my system. I note that there is an updated driver on the
Dell website, I will download and install it and see if that solves the
problem.
Charlie

Old July 21st 05, 06:56 PM
Ted Zieglar

Careful now - is that update for a multimedia keyboard? The non-multimedia
keyboard doesn't need (or use) a separate driver.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

Old July 21st 05, 07:29 PM
Charliec

Well I updated the keyboard driver, but stll get the same error message
regarding the keyboard preventing PC going into Standby. Not sure what to
do now.

"Charliec" wrote in message
I'm trying to take advantage of the Standby Mode in WinXP, but am running
into some hardware problems that is preventing the PC from going into
Standby mode. At first, it was a printer port logical interface that was
preventing Standby and that was solved by disable the Printer Port
Logical
Interface. Now the message I get when attempting to go into Standby is
"the Standard 101/102 key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 is preventing the
Standby mode". Has anyone experience this particular problem and have a
workaround that you can share.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with the standard Dell keyboard and mouse.
Thanks for any insights.
Charlie
Charliec

************************************************* *****
Charliec

Charliec
Old July 26th 05, 03:40 AM
Talkin Horse

On the general topic, let me post my observation about my Dell desktop: To
get true power-saving S1 standby, I found it necessary to disable those
handy checkboxes that allow the keyboard or mouse to take the system out of
standby. The only way out of deep standby is the power button. (Yes, this is
standby, not hibernate.) Apparently a lower level of standby (presumably S3)
was required to keep those peripherals alive such that they could be
monitored. I checked with a watt meter, and the drop in power consumption
from normal (idle) use was almost negligible. It was easy to tell the
difference, because the deep standby turned off the system fans. But I was
surprised that the S3 standby had such a minor effect, considering that it
spun down the disk. That's what I found here, anyway. I'm guessing that most
systems are this way, but maybe not?

"Ted Zieglar" wrote in message
news
Tom:

My 4500 is circa 2002, not 1997, and the issues faced by desktop computers
in dealing with Standby and Hibernation are well known. It's not a
question
of XP's "stability"...it's about the different types of hardware and the
implementation of ACPI.

I put my 4500 into Standby every night with two taps: one on the Power
switch and the second on the Enter key. 'Waking up' takes one tap on the
Power switch. For some reason, it takes significantly less time to come
out
of Standby since I installed SP 2, but I ain't complainin' {:-

WinXP updates breaking video displays? SBro Nvidia Videocards 5 May 1st 05 09:40 PM
8KNXP and WinXP Service Pack 2 Problem Smith Gigabyte Motherboards 2 August 11th 04 06:37 PM
A7N8X-Dlx and win98se - No Audio - has me stumped Kyle Brant Asus Motherboards 13 November 26th 03 11:08 AM
Power Surge David LeBrun General 44 September 12th 03 02:35 AM
CDRW DMA -> PIO mode problem (ANNOYING) Thomas Andersson Cdr 4 August 7th 03 11:07 PM