Inspiron 5000e - Need Intel Chip Set Update Utility for O/S Reinstall

Old July 19th 05, 02:29 PM
Wampus Cat

Default Inspiron 5000e - Need Intel Chip Set Update Utility for O/S Reinstall

Where do I get or find the Intel Chip Set Update Utility for a Dell
Inspiron 5000e notebook PC?

In the section on Reinstalling Windows Me and Windows 98, the
'Solutions Guide' indicates, "NOTICE: Make sure that you reinstall
the Intel Chip Set Update Utility driver before you reinstall any
other drivers."

I have the following CDs:
Dell Product Recovery CD - Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Drivers and Utilities - Dell Inspiron 5000e System Software
Backup - Dell-Installed Programs

If the Intel Chip Set Update Utility is on one of these I don't
recognize its folder name or filename.

Is it supposed to be just a .inf file? Or is it a .exe application?

I have checked the Downloads section and Reinstall Guides section of
the support site without finding a clue. The ftp site has dozens of
files in the 'chipset' directory, but the filenames give no
indication what product they are for.

Please help!

WC
Old July 19th 05, 03:49 PM
Ben Myers

Go to the Intel web site, click on "Support & Downloads" and "Download Center".
Next, click on "Chipsets" and "Intel Chipset Software", and finally "Intel
Chipset Software Installation Uitlity". This works for ANY brand of
motherboard with an Intel motherboard chipset and ANY Windows release.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri... submit=Go%21

.... Ben Myers

Old July 19th 05, 03:56 PM
Quaoar

wrote:

[...]

Also download the Intel Chipset Identification utility if you are unsure
which chipset you have.

Old July 19th 05, 06:33 PM
Ben Myers

Useful, but not necessary. The latest version Intel Chipset Software
Installation Uitlity works with all motherboard chipsets going back to the
440BX, 440EX, and 440ZX and everything up to the present. Of course, if a
computer has an earlier unsupported chipset, the Intel utility will simply not
install... Ben Myers

Old July 19th 05, 10:09 PM
Quaoar

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. It's about time that Intel got around to this.

Old July 20th 05, 02:31 AM
Ben Myers

Actually, Intel's web site and downloads have been this way since Pentium III
days. But it's been a quiet secret... Ben

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:09:53 -0600, "Quaoar" wrote:

SNIP

Thanks for the info. It's about time that Intel got around to this.

Old July 20th 05, 03:55 PM
Quaoar

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
Actually, Intel's web site and downloads have been this way since
Pentium III days. But it's been a quiet secret... Ben

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:09:53 -0600, "Quaoar"
wrote:

SNIP

Thanks for the info. It's about time that Intel got around to this.

I cannot tell if you are being facetious, but in any event, in the
perhaps twenty times I've been on Intel's site for drivers, I've never
seen any indication that the installers were universal, either on the
sites or in the user notes. I've often thought that Intel does try to
make the support site unnecessarily user-unfriendly, probably to prevent
the casual user from screwing up their hardware installation.

Old July 20th 05, 11:32 PM
Ben Myers

Really, it's a quiet secret. Nope, Intel does not tell you that the drivers
apply universally. Nor do VIA with their chipset drivers, or Creative Labs for
(now) old-time audio drivers, or just about any one of the chipset manufacturers
(ATI, Martrox, nVidia, 3COM, Broadcom). The industry practice is not to tell
people much of anything. People are expected to get their drivers from the name
brand manufacturers' web sites, end of story. And both name brand manufacturer
and chipset manufacturer disclaim all responsibility if you install drivers that
are not on their web site.

Then chipheads like myself, stuck doing a reinstall or refurb without any name
brand manufacturers' original CDs, read the chip IDs, go to the chip
manufacturers' web sites, download the drivers there (sometimes even called
"reference drivers" to mislead the uninformed further), install them and they
work fabulously. Or I'll get a system to fix up with reinstall of full OS with
a 4th rate name brand like HP or eMachines, find out of course that the name
brand manufacturer totally disses its customers by having ZERO drivers on its
web site. So off I go, reading chip IDs, etc. etc. etc. Now the secret is not
as quiet, eh? ... Ben Myers

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:55:46 -0600, "Quaoar" wrote:

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
Actually, Intel's web site and downloads have been this way since
Pentium III days. But it's been a quiet secret... Ben

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:09:53 -0600, "Quaoar"

SNIP

Old July 21st 05, 10:19 PM
Wampus Cat

Thanks, Ben. The Intel chipset installer appears to have done the
job. I'll be less inclined in the future to be spooked by the 'only
use our utilities' spiel.

WC

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:32:43 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

[...]

wrote:

SNIP

Thanks for the info. It's about time that Intel got around to this.

I cannot tell if you are being facetious, but in any event, in the
perhaps twenty times I've been on Intel's site for drivers, I've never
seen any indication that the installers were universal, either on the
sites or in the user notes. I've often thought that Intel does try to
make the support site unnecessarily user-unfriendly, probably to prevent
the casual user from screwing up their hardware installation.

Intel express bios update - no Pri Ide? BP Homebuilt PC's 3 May 17th 05 05:33 PM
Dell Inspiron 5000e Fan Not Turning On ? Al Franz Dell Computers 1 January 30th 04 08:06 PM
Intel Commander Intel 0 October 30th 03 07:05 PM
Intel stalls intro of Wi-Fi chip Yousuf Khan Intel 45 September 18th 03 02:54 PM
How do YOU keep up with all Microsoft patches and bug fixes? Steve Dell Computers 20 September 15th 03 11:28 PM