Advice - to upgrade or not

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 20th 04, 11:34 PM
--Jerry--

Default Advice - to upgrade or not

If you have any GF4 card you do not need to upgrade your graphic card for
next 3-6 months and then a new GPU must appear. All games are running OK on
full GF4 cards (NOT MX!!!). I tested Radeon R9700 and FX 5900 and I did not
notice any improvement in speed in any applications. All that was present
was a DX 9 support and I could see that only in benchmarks like 3D Mark etc.
Drivers are so well opimised for GF4 cards that I was surprised that FX and
Radeon cards do not bring any noticable acceleration exept in tests. That is
valid for any GF 4 card (Ti 4200, 4400, 4600 and 4800SE). Any MX card is
slow and it is worth to upgrade.
And one thing - ATI drivers sucks. ATI cards are so fast, picture is so
sharp, colours are so vivid but drivers... They are not so bad in Windows
but in games are horrible. Flashing shadows, missing textures, missing
distant objects etc. So if you are using Nvidia based card you are going to
be very dissapointed if you upgrade to ATI card (no, I am not working in
Nvidia marketing departement) and that is a fact that prevent me from
keeping ATI R9700 card in my PC. Look how often new ATI drivers appear. All
users that are using ATI cards admitt that there are some problems with
drivers. Some of them never used Nvidia cards and they do not know how
important good drivers are.
So for now I am still using my Ti4800SE and am waiting for new card from
Nvidia.