GFX performance and CPU/RAM

Old September 18th 03, 03:37 PM
JC

Default GFX performance and CPU/RAM

I have an Abit KD7-Raid motherboard, an Athlon XP2200 and 1Gb PC2100 DDR.
Due to this, my 400Mhz FBS mobo is running at 266Mhz and I am not sure I am
getting great performance out of my FX5900 non-ultra. Both the motherbaord
and FX5900 are AGP 8X .
Would getting an Athlon supporting 400Mhz FBS like an XP3200 and some 400Mhz
RAM like PC4000 improuve my graphics performance?
I speak mainly for UT2k3 which is almost the only 3D game I run on my
computer.
Thank you

JC

Old September 18th 03, 06:47 PM
John David Carter

"JC" wrote in message
I have an Abit KD7-Raid motherboard, an Athlon XP2200 and 1Gb PC2100 DDR.
Due to this, my 400Mhz FBS mobo is running at 266Mhz and I am not sure I

am
getting great performance out of my FX5900 non-ultra. Both the motherbaord
and FX5900 are AGP 8X .
Would getting an Athlon supporting 400Mhz FBS like an XP3200 and some

400Mhz
RAM like PC4000 improuve my graphics performance?

Yes, but...

You don't actually have to get a new Athlon, you can overclock the fsb on
the one you have if you lower the mulitplier...

I mean, have you seen how much the XP3200 is? I myself have an XP2500
overclocked to 2415 ( 210FSBx11.5multi w/Corsair 1Gb XMS3200mem ), and
PC4000 is not 400mhz DDR - that's PC3200...

PC4000 is good if you are overclocking your P4c bus to 1Ghz...

The fact is, that people running P4cs overclocked to 4Ghz can't wring all of
the potential performance out of the FX5900ultra...

So, a CPU/MEM upgrade would definitely help, even with the non-ultra...

Personally, I would oc the XP2100 you have with some PC3200 or better ram -
and then go from there. Like I said though, if you get a new CPU the XP2500
Barton overclocked will do the job...

I mean, around $100 for a XP2500 that can oc to an XP3200, or over $450 for
an actual XP3200...

My overclocked XP2500's PR is XP3600, most XP2500s can do XP3200 although
milage may vary...

Old September 18th 03, 10:29 PM
Chris

"JC" wrote in message
I have an Abit KD7-Raid motherboard, an Athlon XP2200 and 1Gb PC2100 DDR.
Due to this, my 400Mhz FBS mobo is running at 266Mhz and I am not sure I

am
getting great performance out of my FX5900 non-ultra. Both the motherbaord
and FX5900 are AGP 8X .
Would getting an Athlon supporting 400Mhz FBS like an XP3200 and some

400Mhz
RAM like PC4000 improuve my graphics performance?
I speak mainly for UT2k3 which is almost the only 3D game I run on my
computer.
Thank you

JC

I too have an abit kd7 mobo. I'm pretty sure that it does NOT support
400MHz FSB proccessors.
Because it doesn't lock the pci/agp busses to their default clocks, just
changes thier ratio with the fsb, the highest FSB you could probably get to
is 180-185 (360-370 effective) using the 1:2:5 pci divider..

To run at this level stably you will probably have to go to good PC3200 ram
(ram capable of handling 400MHz).
Good case cooling would help things too.

regards
chris

Abit KD7, , SLK800 + 80mm delta screamer, 2x256 OCZ CAS2
PC3200 @PC2700, 450W Qtec PSU, Creative 3dB Gf4Ti4400 (44.03), XP Home + sp1
(Soon to be NF7-S rev2 & 333/XP2600)

Old September 18th 03, 11:40 PM
J-C

don't know, the site mentions
"Supports AMD K7 AthlonT/AthlonT XP Socket A 200/266/333MHz FSB"
Maybe I thought the KT400 chip would support 400Mhz FBS CPU

JC