8800 GTS 512 G92 Specs (Compared to other GeForce 8's)

Old December 5th 07, 01:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Default 8800 GTS 512 G92 Specs (Compared to other GeForce 8's)

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/8632/index.html

n.b. Texture fill rate at 41.6 B/sec is higher than the 8800 Ultra at
39.2 B/sec, while having significantly less memory bandwidth (64GB/sec
vs. 103.7GB/sec(
Old December 5th 07, 03:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

We already know how the 8800GTS 512 MB will perform. It won't eclipse the
Ultra, but will match the GTX at a lower price point. This is good value for
buyers.

. ..

Old December 5th 07, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

First of One wrote:
We already know how the 8800GTS 512 MB will perform. It won't eclipse the
Ultra, but will match the GTX at a lower price point. This is good value for
buyers.

I think it is interesting that focus is being turned away from bandwidth
and memory performance in general, when it was such a critical area of
concern. How often do you get superior performance from inferior specs?

I'm not so sure we do know how the 8800GTS 512M will perform in all
conditions! More benchmarks under more conditions will have to wait
until dec 11th, the end of the NDA embargo.

Old December 6th 07, 03:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
I think it is interesting that focus is being turned away from bandwidth
and memory performance in general, when it was such a critical area of
concern.

There probably will be games where the reduced memory bandwidth hurts the
GTS 512 MB. However, if those games already perform very well (Prey, ETQW,
Bioshock...) on mid-range hardware, then the real-world impact will not be
felt. Do you really care if a game drops from 80 fps to 70 fps?

As long as the more demanding games (Crysis, Gear of War, Hellgate
London...) don't see a performance drop from GTX to GTS 512 MB, then the new
card will be worthwhile.

How often do you get superior performance from inferior specs?

Several cases where the new card had inferior memory bandwidth, but was
faster than its predecessor:

TNT2 Ultra to Geforce1 SDR
Geforce2 Ultra to Geforce3
FX5950 to 6600GT
X1950XTX to HD3850

Admittedly all these were also accompanied by architectural changes which
either increased the card's fillrate or shader capability.

I'm not so sure we do know how the 8800GTS 512M will perform in all
conditions! More benchmarks under more conditions will have to wait until
dec 11th, the end of the NDA embargo.

I'd be interested in the HardOCP review. It may come down to some situations
where 512 MB simply isn't enough, and the GTX pulls ahead by virtue of its
*greater amount* of video memory.

EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS Neoren General 0 October 15th 07 01:58 AM
DDR2 - MB specs... What the heck is "native support" as compared to standard? kxdude4 General 9 July 10th 07 09:56 PM
DDR2 - MB specs... What the heck is "native support" as compared to standard? kxdude4 Homebuilt PC's 9 July 10th 07 09:56 PM
geforce 8800 go - when/are we likely to see it? [email protected] Nvidia Videocards 2 November 25th 06 04:32 PM