cant install latest drivers, get "cannot be unpacked" message

Old November 6th 05, 01:14 AM
Chip Borton

Default cant install latest drivers, get "cannot be unpacked" message

Hi All,

I am trying to update the nvidia graphics driver and the nvidia nForce
chipset drivers.
I have downloaded the files from nvidia website:

81.85_forceware_winxp64_english_whql
nForce4_amd_6.69_winxp64_english_whql

I can down load the files fine but when executed I get the message:
"The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are
attempting to run has been corrupted.
Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity, try again."

I have no firewall running except for the standard windows firewall, and
have tried downloading
from the different mirror sites too.

Windows Xp Pro x64
Nvidia 6600 GT (GV-NX66T128D from Gigabtye)
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI motherboard

Thanks

Old November 6th 05, 05:46 PM
deimos

Chip Borton wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to update the nvidia graphics driver and the nvidia nForce
chipset drivers.
I have downloaded the files from nvidia website:

81.85_forceware_winxp64_english_whql
nForce4_amd_6.69_winxp64_english_whql

I can down load the files fine but when executed I get the message:
"The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are
attempting to run has been corrupted.
Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity, try again."

I have no firewall running except for the standard windows firewall, and
have tried downloading
from the different mirror sites too.

Windows Xp Pro x64
Nvidia 6600 GT (GV-NX66T128D from Gigabtye)
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI motherboard

Thanks

Try a download manager to rule out any quirk with your browser or settings:

http://www.leechget.net/en/
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
Old November 7th 05, 08:31 PM
Chip Borton

deimos wrote:

Try a download manager to rule out any quirk with your browser or settings:

http://www.leechget.net/en/
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Just to follow up, I tried the one from leechget, i liked it.
However, I was still getting the error message.
So I hopped up to symantec and downloaded the Norton Internet Security
2006 14 day trial and ran that ... nothing found there.
Next step was formatting and reloading windows x64, now the nvidia
driver files worked just fine. hmmmmmm....
So maybe I had some kind of virus that norton coudnt find. I have been
reading a little on rootkit's, could it be possible that i had some
type of rootkit virus? Those things look really scary.
Anyways, all is well for the moment, thanks for your help .

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 11:49 PM
The correct way to install new drivers? PRIVATE1964 Nvidia Videocards 42 July 27th 04 11:47 PM
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe @drian General 22 November 25th 03 05:15 AM
NVIDIA GeForce2: Seeking the Latest Compatible Drivers & Installation Instructions Anonymous Nvidia Videocards 24 October 13th 03 08:16 AM
DVI colors all wrong with latest drivers - dvi.jpg (0/1) Gary Quiring Nvidia Videocards 7 July 8th 03 08:23 PM