Compaq Deskpro won't boot, won't read floppy or CD, 1 long beep-1 short-1 long-1 short, pause then 1 long-2 short beeps

Old May 31st 06, 01:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Deskpro won't boot, won't read floppy or CD, 1 long beep-1 short-1 long-1 short, pause then 1 long-2 short beeps

Hi,
I have an old Compaq Deskpro. Not sure of the model number because
there is nothing specific written on the case. I got it to boot a few
times and it was running Windows 95, Pentium II (I think it was 450Mhz
but not sure), 32 mg RAM, 9-10 gb HD.
It refused to boot for quite a while but then it booted and I got it
to tell me it the specs listed above. I put a Ubuntu Linux CD in but
it said it was just one long music track! I put a Windows 95 disk in
and it said the CD was older than what was on there so it wouldn't do
anything. I came back later and haven't been able to get it to boot at
all.
When I power it on, I get 1 long beep, 1 short, long, 1 short, then a
pause and 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. It won't read the floppy or
CD drive.
After poking around on the WWW, I tried removing the battery from the
motherboard for a while. No effect. The closest debugging flowchart I
could find said I should get a new "ROMPaq" and put it on a floppy.
I've tried that, but it won't boot to the floppy.
Any ideas?
TIA
Old May 31st 06, 04:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

"Olde Fortran" wrote in message
[...]

According to this site: http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/compaqbeep.htm
, you have a problem with your video card.

--
Earl F. Parrish