Good and Quiet VGA cooling?

Old November 22nd 03, 08:56 PM
J.Clarke

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 05:03:20 GMT
"John Smith" wrote:

Right now i have a GeForce Ti4200 (Asus V9280S) and while the cooling
fan isn't horribly noisy it is enough to keep me awake if I leave the
computer on. So my question is: What is the best cooler for my card
which is relatively silent? (If it works well I may try overclocking
the card.)

Zalman ZM80, any variant, should work fine with your Ti4200. No fan at
all. Does need a reasonable amount of airflow through the case though.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old November 23rd 03, 12:51 PM
Dark Avenger

"John Smith" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
Right now i have a GeForce Ti4200 (Asus V9280S) and while the cooling fan
isn't horribly noisy it is enough to keep me awake if I leave the computer
on. So my question is: What is the best cooler for my card which is
relatively silent? (If it works well I may try overclocking the card.)

The Zalman HP80 ofcourse, yes that monstriously big heatsink. But it
damn cools perfectly well :-)
Old November 23rd 03, 05:59 PM
)-()-(

John Smith wrote:

Right now i have a GeForce Ti4200 (Asus V9280S) and while the cooling fan
isn't horribly noisy it is enough to keep me awake if I leave the computer
on. So my question is: What is the best cooler for my card which is
relatively silent? (If it works well I may try overclocking the card.)

I removed the noisy fan from my 4200, leaving the original heatsink,
and mounted a 80mm Panasonic fan running at 5v about 1 inch
below the heatsink blowing air on the heatsink using a Zalman bracket.
Virtually silent when the case is closed.

Old November 23rd 03, 05:59 PM
)-()-(

you could run at 7v if overclocking..

Old November 24th 03, 06:03 PM
jeffc

"John Smith" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Right now i have a GeForce Ti4200 (Asus V9280S) and while the cooling fan
isn't horribly noisy it is enough to keep me awake if I leave the computer
on. So my question is: What is the best cooler for my card which is
relatively silent? (If it works well I may try overclocking the card.)

Get a switch to slow the fan speed down a bit. Or get a passive heatsink.
I was going to put in the Zalman heat pipe someone else suggested, but I had
to get the heatsink that day, so I had to buy one locally. I actually did
find the Zalman in a local store, but they wanted $50 for it. I might have
been tempted at a $30 internet price, but considering I paid only $65 for
the graphics card (used), this was getting pretty ridiculous. The $8 Blue
Orb I bought works just fine.

Old November 25th 03, 03:29 AM
Dark Avenger

"jeffc" wrote in message ...
"John Smith" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Right now i have a GeForce Ti4200 (Asus V9280S) and while the cooling fan
isn't horribly noisy it is enough to keep me awake if I leave the computer
on. So my question is: What is the best cooler for my card which is
relatively silent? (If it works well I may try overclocking the card.)

Get a switch to slow the fan speed down a bit. Or get a passive heatsink.
I was going to put in the Zalman heat pipe someone else suggested, but I had
to get the heatsink that day, so I had to buy one locally. I actually did
find the Zalman in a local store, but they wanted $50 for it. I might have
been tempted at a $30 internet price, but considering I paid only $65 for
the graphics card (used), this was getting pretty ridiculous. The $8 Blue
Orb I bought works just fine.

Well the Zalman ofcourse is the "best of the best" and average said,
pretty expensive.

I got a P4 cooler ( the 7000AlCu ) from Zalman and the thing is heavy,
expensive and HUGE but one thing... you don't hear him! So buying
zalman works but...get ready to open your wallet!

The heatsink is worth the money it costs.... but there are cheaper and
silent solutions that work fine to!
Old November 25th 03, 07:42 AM
Lenny

So buying zalman works but...get ready to open your wallet!

Yeah, Zalman stuff isn't the cheapest around exactly, but it IS quality,
something you wouldn't expect perhaps from a Korean company. Things change.
People said the same about stuff from Japan some decades ago.

Then again, any cooler that weighs like half a kilogram is going to cost
you, so that's pretty universal.

The heatsink is worth the money it costs.... but there are cheaper and
silent solutions that work fine to!

Yea perhaps, but a Blue Orb isn't going to cope with a modern high-powered
gaming videocard, stick one of those on one of the better GFFXes or Radeons
and the chip will fry.

Old November 25th 03, 04:39 PM
jeffc

"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
m...

I got a P4 cooler ( the 7000AlCu ) from Zalman and the thing is heavy,
expensive and HUGE but one thing... you don't hear him! So buying
zalman works but...get ready to open your wallet!

Actually, I'm not even so sure about the design of the one in question. If
I remember correctly, it's covers most of the back of the card, without
actually touching it. In other words, by its design it builds up a lot of
heat that can't be easily dissipated on the back side of the chip. I've
seen other designs that are meant to be a heat sink for the back of the chip
too.

Old November 25th 03, 05:15 PM
Egil Solberg

"John Smith" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Right now i have a GeForce Ti4200 (Asus V9280S) and while the cooling fan
isn't horribly noisy it is enough to keep me awake if I leave the computer
on. So my question is: What is the best cooler for my card which is
relatively silent? (If it works well I may try overclocking the card.)

I bought a Thermaltake Giant II (with heatpipe) for my Asus V8420 (not
deluxe). When installing, I found out that this was a bad move as I could
not install it properly. The back heatsink was not possible to mount, due to
several resistors on the flipside of the GPU. This resulted in the
heatsink-combo failing to keep steady.
Something to watch out for when considering. The backside of the PCB at the
GPU-place needs to be flat and steady. I guess the Zalman-solution here
could also be tricky to mount due to this.
Check it out. I didn't

By the way, can anybody recommend the Thermaltake CoolMod or Vantec Iceberg
for my setup? Are they too noisy? Considered installing a 80mm fan, but I'm
not sure how to mount it properly.