Pentium 4 3 HSF fan speed

Old May 20th 04, 04:43 AM
Simon Thompson

Default Pentium 4 3 HSF fan speed

Hi,

I have a boxed Intel P4 Pentuim 4 3.0 Ghz with HSF. Should the CPU fan
speed up as the CPU temperature gets hotter?

Mine stays at a constant 2500 rpm no matter what the CPU temperature
reaches. (I stop it when the active monitor objects at 70 deg. C.)

Cheers,

Simon.
Old May 20th 04, 06:24 AM
GHalleck

Simon Thompson wrote:

Hi,

I have a boxed Intel P4 Pentuim 4 3.0 Ghz with HSF. Should the CPU fan
speed up as the CPU temperature gets hotter?

Mine stays at a constant 2500 rpm no matter what the CPU temperature
reaches. (I stop it when the active monitor objects at 70 deg. C.)

Cheers,

Simon.

The fan supplied with current versions of the boxed,
Intel P4 CPU should have its own fan speed control.
And it should increase speed as the CPU processor
increases *unless* there is a CPU fan temperature
control also in active competition, via the 3-pin CPU
header on the motherboard. But even at 2,500 RPM, the
CPU temperature should not be excessive unless the HS
was installed incorrectly or there is poor air flow
through the computer case.

Old May 21st 04, 09:01 AM
Simon Thompson

GHalleck wrote in message ...
Simon Thompson wrote:

Hi,

I have a boxed Intel P4 Pentuim 4 3.0 Ghz with HSF. Should the CPU fan
speed up as the CPU temperature gets hotter?

Mine stays at a constant 2500 rpm no matter what the CPU temperature
reaches. (I stop it when the active monitor objects at 70 deg. C.)

Cheers,

Simon.

The fan supplied with current versions of the boxed,
Intel P4 CPU should have its own fan speed control.
And it should increase speed as the CPU processor
increases *unless* there is a CPU fan temperature
control also in active competition, via the 3-pin CPU
header on the motherboard. But even at 2,500 RPM, the
CPU temperature should not be excessive unless the HS
was installed incorrectly or there is poor air flow
through the computer case.

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

The CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan header on an Intel D865PERL
motherboard. What would be in active competition? Would the Intel
Precision Cooling stuff do it?

In normal use, the temperature is not excessive. The only time there
is a problem is when I run video rendering (TMPMeg) software that pegs
the CPU at 100% for several hours. Then it slowly creeps up until it
hits 70 deg C. (The short-term solution is to take the case off.) The
case fans are at full-speed at 62 deg C (reduced from the standard 65
deg C).

I have improved the fans in the case, and that reduced the normal
operating temperature 2 or 3 degress.

Cheers,

Simon.