Max Chip Speed for 875P Chipset Motherboard

Old May 18th 04, 03:33 AM
tony010409020622@[email protected]

Default Max Chip Speed for 875P Chipset Motherboard

Does anyone know how "upgradable" the 875P Chipset (for example, ABit
IC7-G Motherboard) is ?

In other words, I'll probably be buying a P4 HT 3.0C. Are there plans
down the road for Intel to continue making faster chips that will fit
in this motherboard ? If so, is the motherboard maxed-out at 3.4 GHz
(currently the fastest CPU available for this board), or is it
expected to be able to handle, for example, a 4 GHz CPU ?

FWIW, I'm not planning on overclocking, Thanks for the assistance.

Old May 18th 04, 12:03 PM
TomG

the current Northwood and first generation Prescott CPU's will fit this
board. Intel does not really have plans for the Northwood to go much higher
in speed than where it currently is, from my reading. The Prescott will
change form factor and continue the climb in speed as I understand it from
published articles. when Prescott changes form factor, it will no longer be
compatible with socket 478.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified