an inexpensive hyper threading supporting mobo

Old January 17th 04, 08:34 PM
natural_4u

Default an inexpensive hyper threading supporting mobo

What is a good and cheap hyper threading supporting mobo?

Old January 17th 04, 09:36 PM
Lee

P4 processor use HT technology so any P4 mobo generally i can't really
recommend a p4 board as i never owned one but check out www.tomshardware.com
or www.anandtech.com for mobo reviews.

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:34:55 GMT, "natural_4u" wrote:

:What is a good and cheap hyper threading supporting mobo?
:

-----
Lee.
Old January 17th 04, 11:51 PM
natural_4u

Not all P4 processor use HT technology and some Mobo support only up to
533MHz FSB and the Mobo that do support HT support up to 800MHz FSB

Old January 18th 04, 12:34 AM
dmac

there is one 533 p4 with ht, but all others are 800 fsb. so any 800 fsb
board should support it. I have gigabyte and it is ok, but I would check out
an abit ic7 series. you can get a decent board that will allow you to
overclock and upgrade for about 140$ US.

--
Dave M
Etna, Maine USA

Old January 18th 04, 01:49 AM
natural_4u

Which mobo with 533 fsb supports ht? Wouldn't that be pointless since HT is
800MHz ???

When you say "overclock" do you mean a mobo that runs on 533 fsb that can be
overclock to be 800MHz fsb ???

Old January 18th 04, 02:53 AM
dmac

the p4 3.0 chip at 533 supports HT. it is the only intel 533mhz chip that
does. anyboard that accepts and runs at 533 should work with this chip.
and you can't oC a 533 board to 800. I have a board built for 800mhz that
has the cpu overclocked from 2.8 to 3.1 by raising the fsb to approx 890
mhz.

--
Dave M
Etna, Maine USA

Old January 18th 04, 03:23 AM
David Maynard

dmac wrote:
the p4 3.0 chip at 533 supports HT. it is the only intel 533mhz chip that
does. anyboard that accepts and runs at 533 should work with this chip.
and you can't oC a 533 board to 800. I have a board built for 800mhz that
has the cpu overclocked from 2.8 to 3.1 by raising the fsb to approx 890
mhz.

That would be the 3.06 Gig on 533 MHz FSB that supports hyperthreading.

Old January 18th 04, 03:41 AM
David Maynard

natural_4u wrote:
What is a good and cheap hyper threading supporting mobo?

I'm not sure which 'cheap' one would be 'good' but go to pricewatch.com,
the motherboard section, and put "thread" into the lower search box.
Pricing seems to start at around 45 bucks for a "Syntax SVX400," whatever
the heck that is. Low end are 533 MHz FSB boards so only the 3.06 P4 would
go on them (and have hyperthreading). The "PC-Chips M952," at roughly 50
bucks, does 800 MHz FSB, so all of those 800 MHz FSB P4s would run on it,
but you can forget about overclocking it.

For 800Mhz FSB boards, the "Shuttle AV49PN," at 58 bucks, might be
overclockable (check for some reviews to see). The "Gigabyte GA-8VT800-L,"
at $62 probably is, and then there's an "Abit IS7-V" for $65.

Old January 18th 04, 12:19 PM
dmac

yup, sorry. the add I was looking at called it 3.0 but intel site calls it
3.06. quite a difference!

Old January 19th 04, 02:01 AM
David Maynard

dmac wrote:
yup, sorry. the add I was looking at called it 3.0 but intel site calls it
3.06. quite a difference!

Hehe. Not much, in terms of speed, except there IS a 3 gig, but on the 800
Mhz FSB.