Forced to Upgrade, any suggestions?

Old November 13th 03, 12:01 AM
Pham

Default Forced to Upgrade, any suggestions?

I was planning to upgrade my computer in anticipation of the launch of HL2,
but I don't think my desktop is going to live that long.

I plan to get a 2500 Barton and twin sticks of 400mhz ddr ram.

Any suggestions on which mobo I should consider?

Old November 13th 03, 12:47 AM
rms

abit nf7-s. Get PC3500 btw, only a few $ more. The real question is what
vidcard will you get.

rms

Old November 13th 03, 03:03 AM
dr_hardware

Pham wrote:
I was planning to upgrade my computer in anticipation of the launch
of HL2, but I don't think my desktop is going to live that long.

I plan to get a 2500 Barton and twin sticks of 400mhz ddr ram.

Any suggestions on which mobo I should consider?

Abit NF7-S; very stable, loaded with features and overclocks very well.

Old November 13th 03, 08:30 AM
Lee

At the moment i think the 2 most popular boards for stability and
overclocking on the amd are Abit NF7-S or the Asus A7N8X deluxe. Wait them
both up and choose which has the best features for your needs.

:
:I plan to get a 2500 Barton and twin sticks of 400mhz ddr ram.
:
:Any suggestions on which mobo I should consider?
:

-----
Lee.
Old November 13th 03, 02:35 PM
Ben Pope

Lee wrote:
At the moment i think the 2 most popular boards for stability and
overclocking on the amd are Abit NF7-S or the Asus A7N8X deluxe. Wait
them both up and choose which has the best features for your needs.

Agreed. nForce2 is the way to go.

There are a number of nForce2 boards out there, but Asus and Abit seem to
make the best.

I have the A7N8X Deluxe and am very impressed... I chose this over the Abit
on the features onboard.

Ben

Old November 13th 03, 05:21 PM
Ben Pope

Doughnut wrote:
What Graphics Card are you putting in the system? Its gunna make a big
difference!

Big difference to what? Motherboard choice?

Ben

Old November 13th 03, 06:03 PM
Sean

"Pham" . wrote in message ...
I was planning to upgrade my computer in anticipation of the launch of

HL2,
but I don't think my desktop is going to live that long.

I plan to get a 2500 Barton and twin sticks of 400mhz ddr ram.

Any suggestions on which mobo I should consider?

NF7-S v2.0
PC3200/3500

What graphics card do you have now? Because when HL2 launches sometime in
early 2004, graphic card prices will be coming down and you could get
yourself a nice 9800 Pro or 9800 XT.

Old November 13th 03, 08:05 PM
Erik Alvar

Abit's NF7 series are pretty good.

I went with the NF7-M (good, but not great, onboard video) and now I'm
sorting out my next video card.

Old November 14th 03, 03:40 AM
Pham

Got my eye on at least a 9800pro. But I'm going to wait till the verrry last
second before I buy it.