*Brand* Preferences?

Old December 6th 03, 12:45 PM
Dark Avenger

"MikeM" wrote in message ...
Well looks like I will stay with the MSI unless I get a (puke) ATI card.
Sorry (puke) ATI lovers I have never liked them and or the support. I
have been a computer technician for several years and have never had a
pleasent experiance with ATI in general.

Whats wrong with ATI then?

They make nice cards and are pretty competetive with nvidia cards!

Oh yes, you probably got the bad taste of the FX series in your mouth,
yes.. that was quite a problematic serie... lets hope that with the
Nv40 they make a killer card, not? I really hope that, we need both
Ati as Nvidia on the market... ensures the race goes on! Else it ends
like 3dfx ....
Old December 6th 03, 06:57 PM
MikeM

"Dark Avenger" wrote in message
om...
| "MikeM" wrote in message
| Well looks like I will stay with the MSI unless I get a (puke) ATI
card.
| Sorry (puke) ATI lovers I have never liked them and or the support.
| have been a computer technician for several years and have never had
| pleasent experiance with ATI in general.
|
| Whats wrong with ATI then?
|
| They make nice cards and are pretty competetive with nvidia cards!
|
| Oh yes, you probably got the bad taste of the FX series in your mouth,
| yes.. that was quite a problematic serie... lets hope that with the
| Nv40 they make a killer card, not? I really hope that, we need both
| Ati as Nvidia on the market... ensures the race goes on! Else it ends
| like 3dfx ....

No taste of an FX card here yet. I have 2 GF4 Ti cards 4200 and 4600 in
my machines.
Working on PC's in repair shops for a couple of years had put a foul
taste of ATI in my mouth. I would rather use a Trident or a 3DFX card
then.

Old December 7th 03, 02:39 AM
Darthy

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 03:13:17 GMT, "QV" wrote:

"DaveL" wrote in message
And I love my MSI GF4 ti4200. I could not ask it to be any better. It's
absolutely silent without having to mod the fan and it's perfectly stable.
Dave

The Ti-200 is only a Geforce 3, but it overclocks to about 90% of a stock
4200 so I'm hoping to get several more months of service out of it. It ran

Bwahahah thats funny. The Ti200 usually OCs to GF3 (orig) and
sometimes GF 3 Ti500 performance. But a stock Ti4200 is easily faster
than the Ti500. I've had both cards (GF3 & GF4-Ti) and the GF3
doesn't compare.

with the 30.82 drivers until Halo which had sniper rifle rendering problems.
The 44.03 drivers work perfectly fine (for now) but if I come across another
game that requires a driver upgrade, I'll probably be up the creek.

I was with my Ti4200 - the 44.xx drivers caused problems with other
games - making them unplayable. But the 52.16 allowed Halo to work
fine and the older games to run good (but NOT as good as the 30.82
which I have been using UNTIL Halo).

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old December 7th 03, 02:59 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:15:15 -0800, "DaveL"
wrote:

Gainward employs deceptive marketing. They call non-Ultra cards "Ultra"
hoping the buyer doesn't notice. It's very crooked if you ask me and I'll
never buy one of their cards.

Dave

Agreed, I think thats another good reason to NOT buy their products.

LOOOONG confusing names...

Check out this ****:

1: Gainward FX PowerPack! Ultra/760 TV/DVI 128MB

2: Gainward FX PowerPack! Ultra/760 XP 128MB "Golden Sample"

3: Gainward FX PowerPack! Ultra/760 XP 128MB

This is FROM the Gainward website!! From these Names, looking on line
can you tell what seperates these cards?

Gainwards has these 5600 series cards: 1 XT, 2 Ultras and 4 plain
models. The 3 cards I listed below are 3 VERY different products!

1 = 5600XT card - which is SLOWER than the non ultra 5600 (unlike
ATI's XT = higher end) - This Gainward card has 64bit memory. NOTE!!
The Exact same model number is also their plain 5600 with 128bit RAM.

2 = 5600 (Non Ultra)

3 = 5600 Ultra

None of these model numbers make ANY sense!!! SCREW GAINWARD!!

How do you tell the difference? Is the ACTUAL box and what AIDA32
(www.aida32.hu) reports to you.

The stupid ribbon on the box says "XT" - " nothing" or "Ultra" - in
about the smallest text on the box.

The "Gainward FX PowerPack! Ultra/780 TV/DVI 256MB" is a 256mb version
of the 5600.

I guess "Gainward PowerPak 5600" or "Gainward PowerPak 5600 Ultra"
would be too simple.

I did have to get a Gainward for a friend since he required a PCI
version and Gainward was the ONLY choice.

Remember - spread the word : DO NOT BUY GAINWARD !!!

Old December 7th 03, 03:00 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:53:20 -0800, "MikeM"
wrote:

Been looking at the FX cards and understand to get either 5700 or above.
But is there a brand preference? I currently own an MSI GF4 Ti4200 and
an MSI GF4 Ti4600. I really like them and have no troubles with them.
But has anyone actually found any performance difference in the
manufacturers cards?

MSI is very good...

My Ti4200 is running great and the newer 4200s are even more silent.
The 5900 Ultra is also almost silent (better than MY Ti4200).

Old December 7th 03, 09:23 PM
tq96

taste of ATI in my mouth. I would rather use a Trident or a 3DFX card
then.

Then you are a fool. Nothing from the likes of Trident or 3DFX can touch
the best from ATI.
Old December 8th 03, 04:32 AM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:57:37 -0800
"MikeM" wrote:

VW or Porsche?

That's like asking "Ford or Lincoln".

"Darthy" wrote in message
| On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 10:57:43 -0800, "MikeM"
| wrote:
|
| No taste of an FX card here yet. I have 2 GF4 Ti cards 4200 and
4600 in
| my machines.
| Working on PC's in repair shops for a couple of years had put a
foul| taste of ATI in my mouth. I would rather use a Trident or a
3DFX card| then.

| Thats dumb... sure. its easier to get NO PROBLEMS in old 2D and
early| 3D cards on a simpler OS from the old days....

| Its like saying you'd take an old 1992 Probe over a 2002 Ferrari...
|

| --
| Remember when real men used Real computers!?
| When 512K of video RAM was a lot!
|
| Death to Palladium & WPA!!

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old December 8th 03, 07:44 AM
Mike Lamb

Gainward does in fact have problems.
It was reported on oc.com about how Gainward was
releasing faulty Ti 4200s, with bad memory. They
were selling them though Newegg. If you had read
the complaints at the time you would have saw
Gainward knowingly done this. Plus they done
similar with their Ti 4400 (750 GS). I had one of
these for all of one 2 weeks. It had bad memory
and I never got Gainward to answer any of my
emails or phone calls. Even to this day Gainward
seems to have more problems with memory than any
other nvidia based v card maker.

Many people do not know that PNY is part of MSI.
PNY carries the value segment.
I've had good luck out the PNY Ti 4400 I had.

As it stands right now, I'd mainly consider MSI,
Leadtech, Albatron, or eVGA. I have a eVGA 5900nu
now and it is a fine v card. They techies at their
website has been most helpful and friendly. Plus
it is a laid back website, with little flaming or
arguing. My 5900 oc's really well to. Had it to
500/975.

Cheers,
Mike

"jeffc" wrote in message

"tq96" wrote in message
Good: Not so good:
PNY Gainward

Just a year ago, Gainward was considered one

of the better brands because
of its top-notch 2D and good overclockability.

Oh how the might have
fallen.

What's wrong with Gainward?

Old December 8th 03, 08:32 AM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:11:11 -0800
"MikeM" wrote:

Cougar or Torino?

If you remember the Torino you gotta be as old as I am.

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
d...
| On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:57:37 -0800
| "MikeM" wrote:
|
| VW or Porsche?
|
| That's like asking "Ford or Lincoln".
|
| "Darthy" wrote in message
| | On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 10:57:43 -0800, "MikeM"
| | wrote:
| |
| | No taste of an FX card here yet. I have 2 GF4 Ti cards 4200 and
| 4600 in
| | my machines.
| | Working on PC's in repair shops for a couple of years had put a
| foul| taste of ATI in my mouth. I would rather use a Trident or a
| 3DFX card| then.
| |