***Gabe Newell needs our help, HL2's source is in the wild.***

Old October 6th 03, 10:44 AM
Stoneskin

who be dat? left a note on my windscreen which said:

You might want to get out and read a bit here and there. This is the real
deal. It's not just HL2, but Team Fortress 2 as well. It's possible to
compile this stuff to .exe's using Visual Studio .Net. All that's needed to
play are the textures. I suggest going to http://www.warp2search.net/ and
doing a search on this stuff.

Yes. I dug around a bit more and I do agree it's real.
--

Stoneskin

[Insert sig here]
Old October 6th 03, 10:47 AM
Stoneskin

Derek Wildstar left a note on my windscreen which said:

I assure you, they understand security, and how important their data is.
Think more, type less.

Obviously they do not.
--

Stoneskin

[Insert sig here]
Old October 6th 03, 02:12 PM
Bratboy

Comments about siccing the FBI on it make me laugh sorry. In watching the
news we see reports all the time on how hackers waltz around our brilliant
FBI so asking the community to help might get better results I think but hey
whatever. Sad truth is they has been so much in the way of innuendo, blame
conspiracy theories etc surrounding this game I expect to see an Arnie S
movie, maybe T4-Enter the HalfLife or something.

....opps I hear knocking at the door, prolly Ashcroft come to get me before I
hit post and put something on the web expressing less than faith in our
government hehe

"Derek Wildstar" wrote in message
. net...

"John Lewis" wrote in message

When is the next Valve smoke-screen ? Time to put
Gabe postings in a kill-file ? Life will go on just fine
with or without HL2.

That this was a staged release for publicity/mis-information is unlikely
since the authorities are involved, that's playing russian roulette with
nothing to gain, since the loss lessens the perceived value of the game.

That said, you're spot on with the leaky steam obscuring the valve.

There's
a bigger story waiting to be told.

Old October 6th 03, 05:03 PM
Folk

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:08:29 GMT, (John Lewis)
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:03:47 -0400, Folk wrote:

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 06:17:52 GMT,
(John Lewis)
wrote:

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:43:11 +0100, "Jamie_Manic"
wrote:

"Stoneskin" wrote in message
l.net...
Derek Wildstar left a note on my windscreen which said:

This is a serious matter, please spread this information to people you
think
can be of assistance.

Anything which says spread this info I'm suspicious of. It's the first
smell of something not quite right.

Ther is nothing about this on the Valve site. Why isn't this reported
there?

Not saying it's definatly a hoax but I'm inclined to think it is.

IGN are running the story, I'd say thats pretty official.

No mention of the FBI ???

I would have expected that Gabe superiors at Vivendi
would have immediately picked up the phone. Theft of
commercial code is a federal offence. Hopefully, the bunch
of investigative amateurs at Valve ( Gabe and his friends)
have not wiped out the trail of evidence..........

Heh. You think the FBI could do any better?

YES !!

They have the legal power to involve the best
computer-security investigators in the nation.

Computer-security is a software discipline, just like
game-development. But it also includes investigative
training, meticulous, tedious evidence examination,
together with the ability to think like a hacker.

Game-developers may be good coders at what
they do, but are definitely rank-amateurs here.

The hacker(s) must be rolling in the aisles laughing
at Gabe's feeble hand-waving. Hopefully, any leads
that Gabe does get will be turned over immediately
to the FBI.

Very, very likely to be an inside-job anyway, with a lot
of smoke-screen generated by the thief by deliberately
leaving worms on the target computers to deceive
Gabe and Co into thinking that it was an outside job
.... the old trojan-horse trick.....................

The sooner the FBI has a chat with all personnel
with access to the code, or with access to people
who have the code on their computers, the better..

John Lewis

Now that I think about it, given the people glut in the IT market
these days, maybe the FBI does have some half-way decent tech folks on
board, but if they do it's a recent occurrence. The best/brightest
have historically been found in the private sector. The mentality
required to be a good GS kind of guy does not equate to being a good
software kind of guy.

Old October 6th 03, 11:32 PM
ho alexandre

Stoneskin wrote:
I assure you, they understand security, and how important their data is.
Think more, type less.

Obviously they do not.

rotflol

Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance.
Sam Brown

--
XandreX
/I'm that kind of people your parents warned you about/

Old October 7th 03, 10:39 AM
Nada

"Derek Wildstar" wrote:
"who be dat?" wrote:

That inside job comment has me wondering. Like Ho Alexandre observed in
another response (and was something that didn't occur to me at all), hard
to believe the info from the key logger program/virus/whatever was
transmitted through the firewall without them seeing it although it's
certainly possible.

Chris Smith

I am well versed in information security, and even the most robust
operational procedures can be circumvented when a trusted member violates
protocol.

All security paradigms must be rooted in trust, and the vetting process,
that process which assigns the Standard of 'Trusted', failed. When a
failure does occur the first element you invesitage is personnel, without
exception.

To sum in modern parable: Don't leave the fox in charge of the digital
chicken coop.

Where was Jimmy Hoffa when all this happened?
Old November 3rd 03, 01:19 AM
Minotaur

Larry Roberts wrote:
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:50:00 +0100, Stoneskin wrote:

spamtrap@localhost left a note on my windscreen which said:

Not saying it's definatly a hoax but I'm inclined to think it is.

I think its the real deal, it would have been refuted by now if it
wasn't, and it was quoted by Gabe himself on the halflife2.net forum.

After I posted this I found the Gabe posting you mention. Certainly
adds alot of validitidy to it, I agree.

I find it pretty negligent and downright stupid to have critical stuff
like this on an internet enabled PC.

I agree. That was my first thought when I read about this.
Valve is not a small, struggling software company. I'd think they'd be
able to keep their code on a closed LAN with no access to the outside.

But unfortunatly, some ****** from outside Valve released the copy that
they where given to evaluate on there companys hardware.
nVidia? ATI? someone was upset about it's performance, a spitfull
move I think, from someone outside of Valve.

Old November 3rd 03, 07:48 AM
Nick (no dashes)

Somone said:

I find it pretty negligent and downright stupid to have critical
stuff like this on an internet enabled PC.

And someone went on to say ti should only be kept on a closed LAN.

That's pretty unrealistic - machines are connected these days, end of
story. But that said, all companies, mine included, keep critical and
sensitive data on machines which are fully connected, but also fully
secured against unauthorised access (in so much as much as you can be
'fully' secure). That's the only difference.