strange asus motherboard/graphics card problem

Old January 5th 04, 10:44 PM
Scott

Default strange asus motherboard/graphics card problem

hi,
i am running an Athlon 2200XP computer with an Asus K7VM2 motherboard
with integrated S3 ProSavageDDR graphics card. I am having major
problems with it!!!

When I was setting the PC up (new base unit, same monitor) under
Win98, the dreaded blue screen occured EVERY time I tried to boot up.
Now I can at least use the system, I have narrowed the problem down to
this- when I try to change the number of colours in the control panel,
on reboot I get this error 0028:C0037FC7 VXD IFSMGR(01) + 00004ED0B.
This happens when I try to go any higher than 256 colours, or if I try
to set the graphic acceleration past halfway. Obviously this sucks!

Can anyone help? I would be forever grateful as my newish PC is
****ing me off.

thanks in advance
scott
Old January 6th 04, 03:02 PM
KC Computers

i am running an Athlon 2200XP computer with an Asus K7VM2 motherboard
with integrated S3 ProSavageDDR graphics card. I am having major
problems with it!!!

When I was setting the PC up (new base unit, same monitor) under
Win98, the dreaded blue screen occured EVERY time I tried to boot up.
Now I can at least use the system, I have narrowed the problem down to
this- when I try to change the number of colours in the control panel,
on reboot I get this error 0028:C0037FC7 VXD IFSMGR(01) + 00004ED0B.
This happens when I try to go any higher than 256 colours, or if I try
to set the graphic acceleration past halfway. Obviously this sucks!

Can anyone help? I would be forever grateful as my newish PC is
****ing me off.

What make and model is your RAM? Do you have any other modules
to try?

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
E-mail: Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer for 13+ years!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Old January 6th 04, 05:29 PM
Paul

In article , "KC Computers"
wrote:

[...]

If you don't have any other ram to try, download a copy of memtest86
from memtest86.com . It is free. The program will format and install
a standalone bootable memory test program on a blank floppy diskette,
and the floppy can be used to boot the system, assuming the floppy is
the first thing in your boot order.

A more obscure reason for a fault, might be that the Windows install
CD is bad. I'd test the memory first though.

HTH,
Paul
Old January 8th 04, 01:19 PM
Scott

the RAM i'm not sure about, it came with the PC, will try a different module