New E1505

Old August 21st 06, 07:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
CC56

Default New E1505

My new E1505 should be coming in this week. I've heard that
a lot of junk comes pre-installed. Anyone have any
suggestions on the best way to remove unwanted programs and
do the initial setup on this laptop? Thanks
Old August 21st 06, 07:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine

Did you pay for the WinXP CD? If so, just blow the machine out and do a
clean install.

Bob
Old August 21st 06, 07:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Kevin

"Bob Levine" wrote in message
Did you pay for the WinXP CD? If so, just blow the machine out and do a
clean install.

Bob

I fully agree. It's either that or get familiar with Add/Remove Programs.

Old August 21st 06, 07:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and remove what you do not want, like
the trial-ware versions of McAfee, Ghost, etc. For a while there, you would
get a one-year subscription to a popular anti-virus package with a Dell, but now
McAfee and Symantec are pinching pennies and they give only a 90-day free trail
on name brand computers... Ben Myers

Old August 21st 06, 07:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Continued...

Then download and run both CCleaner (PC for Crap Cleaner) and EasyCleaner to
remove rubbish from the registry AND clean-up useless files left behind by most
software. CCleaner is a little more foolproof, but EasyCleaner removes junk
from the registry not found by CCleaner.

Finally, run PageFileDefrag to defrag the registry files and give the system a
defrag, shampoo and manicure. Hurry up and download PageFileDefrag. Mark
Russinovich's very innovative SysInternals just got bought up by the Microsoft
Borg, and there is no telling how long many of his very useful free utilities
will be around... Ben

Old August 21st 06, 08:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

Kevin wrote:

"Bob Levine" wrote in message
Did you pay for the WinXP CD? If so, just blow the machine out and do a
clean install.

Bob

I fully agree. It's either that or get familiar with Add/Remove Programs.

On a brand new system, the *best* way to "start clean" is to do a clean install.

All you've got is the OS and drivers.

There are plenty of programs that leave lots of of remnants, ever after an
"Add/Remove."

Notan
Old August 21st 06, 09:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
hdrdtd

Here'a a program someone wrote to do exactly what you're looking for.

I've used it myself on a new Dimension E510 and it worked fine.

http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/

. ..

Old August 22nd 06, 02:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Charles

Ben Myers wrote:
Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and remove what you do not want, like
the trial-ware versions of McAfee, Ghost, etc. For a while there, you would
get a one-year subscription to a popular anti-virus package with a Dell, but now
McAfee and Symantec are pinching pennies and they give only a 90-day free trail
on name brand computers... Ben Myers

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:27:04 -0400, CC56 wrote:

My new E1505 should be coming in this week. I've heard that
a lot of junk comes pre-installed. Anyone have any
suggestions on the best way to remove unwanted programs and
do the initial setup on this laptop? Thanks

And on my new 1505 I couldn't even update the 90 day trial of McAfee w/o
purchasing the 1 yr version. Even asked McAfee if that was the way it
was supposed to work & they said yes. Bye bye McAfee.
Charles

Old August 22nd 06, 09:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sparky Spartacus

CC56 wrote:
My new E1505 should be coming in this week. I've heard that a lot of
junk comes pre-installed. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to
remove unwanted programs and do the initial setup on this laptop? Thanks

Why not wait to see exactly what's on it before deciding this?