Question on license and activation code Reinstall

Old August 18th 06, 09:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
[email protected]

Default Question on license and activation code Reinstall

I have a Dell Dimension PC in the office and I think it's time to reinstall
the OS. The registry is crammed with unneeded strings, and I just believe
in having a clean install at least once every two years (even though once
every year is recommended).

I remember that with Windows 2000 you could just reinstall using your OS
disk, however this computer didn't come with one. You have to create the
disk using the Dell utility.

I plan on loading this OS on the same machine and I have all the necessary
keys. Is there any unforeseen problem I will run into with activation?

When did Dell stop sending Windows OS disks? It seems silly to me.
Old August 18th 06, 09:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

As long as you use the disks you make on that computer, you should be fine.

Dell was about the last to stop sending media with their new computers.
Why?
To save $
Most if not all the major OEMs have successfully shifted the burden of
making and storing the media from them to their customers.

It is not much $ savings for each computer but multiply that by the number
of computers sold daily and you have a significant savings in an industry
with an already small margin of profit.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old August 18th 06, 10:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
ANONYMOUS

You can still buy the OS CD from DELL for £6 (GBP). The CDs are
optional extra at a time when competition is rife in the PC market.
Have you tried phoning DELL in your country? You shuld have your
Express Service Tag handy so that they can tell you exactly how much
they will charge you. The service tag is at the back of the system.

hth

Old August 18th 06, 10:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Colin Wilson

But remember, with current models, you CAN get the XP CD for $10

As you've already paid for the right to use it, in the event of a HD
failure, you have no way of reinstalling unless you can burn one
yourself so are therefore prevented from using something for which you
have paid.

Old August 18th 06, 11:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Jupiter Jones

As with other purchases of most any other product, the buyer should inform
themselves of the consequences of the particular choice that is made.
All the limitations including what the buyer is prevented from doing are
well known and easy to determine in advance.

If the terms are unacceptable, buyers should buy elsewhere.
Then inform the former seller in writing why the business was lost and who
and why received the business.
If that happens enough, things will change.

--
Jupiter Jones

Old August 19th 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ron Martell

wrote:

I have a Dell Dimension PC in the office and I think it's time to reinstall
the OS. The registry is crammed with unneeded strings, and I just believe
in having a clean install at least once every two years (even though once
every year is recommended).

Whoever gave you that recommendation (clean install every year) is
totally out to lunch. I would be very suspicious about any and all
advice coming from such an ill-informed source.

The last time I did a clean install on my personal system was in 1993
with MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows For Workgroups 3.11 on an 80386SX
machine. Everything since then has been done as an upgrade,
including multiple changes of motherboard, CPU, RAM, hard drive,
CD/DVD, Computer case, Power Supply, etc. etc.

I remember that with Windows 2000 you could just reinstall using your OS
disk, however this computer didn't come with one. You have to create the
disk using the Dell utility.

I plan on loading this OS on the same machine and I have all the necessary
keys. Is there any unforeseen problem I will run into with activation?

Dell OEM versions of Windows XP are BIOS Locked to the Dell
motherboard BIOS and are self-activating when installed on computers
with such a motherboard. They cannot be activated on a computer with
any other motherboard.

On your existing installed Windows XP use Start - All Programs -
Accessories - System Tools and see if there is an "Activate Windows"
item on that menu. If there is not then your OEM version is BiOS
Locked and there will be no activation issues unless you replace the
motherboard with one that is not from Dell. If there an Activate
Windows item on the menu then your OEM Windows XP is an early version
that predates the use of the BIOS Lock (SLP) procedure by Dell. In
that case you will have to activate manually over the Internet but
there should be no issues unless someone else has copied your key and
used it on another computer.

When did Dell stop sending Windows OS disks? It seems silly to me.

At least 2 years ago. It saves them money.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."
Old August 19th 06, 01:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
WSZsr

Dirty installs or upgrades can be very problematic. I prefer to install
clean. Proper backups make it quick and simple.
For the Dimension line, Dell quit sending out media about a year ago, not
more than two.