(OT) 55+ updates after any Service Pack 2 install?

Old August 17th 06, 12:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

Default (OT) 55+ updates after any Service Pack 2 install?

Sounds like it's time for Service Pack 3. (g)

I feel for anyone left who has a dial up connection.

Old August 17th 06, 12:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

Sounds like it's time for Service Pack 3. (g)
I feel for anyone left who has a dial up connection.

I reckon M$ should be forced to send out update CDs to all registered
owners. That'll get them into the habit of writing code more carefully !
Old August 17th 06, 01:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Sounds like it's time for Service Pack 3. (g)
I feel for anyone left who has a dial up connection.

I reckon M$ should be forced to send out update CDs to all registered
owners. That'll get them into the habit of writing code more carefully !

Forced by who?

You're free to use something other than Windows.

Old August 17th 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Neato, huh? This is from the company that is now supposedly placing a premium
on security. A recent trade rag quoted the results of a recent bug-fest, or
whatever it is when people try to find software defects. IE scored 25, Opera
1, and Firefox a low number.

Micro$oft's approach is very much like some governments I've seen in action.
They tell you one thing to placate you, then do something entirely different or
never take action on what is promised or said. Actually, that seems to be the
disease of all governments.

The problem common to both Window$ and government$ is that they are entirely too
complicated. Our laws are a bandages upon bandages dating back to the founding
fathers. Ever try to understand the tax code? Windows is a large ball of
bandages. With increased complexity comes increased unreliability... Ben Myers

Old August 17th 06, 02:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

I reckon M$ should be forced to send out update CDs to all registered
owners. That'll get them into the habit of writing code more carefully !

Forced by who?

Legislation - if you produce crap code, you should get to sort out the
mess for all users, not just those with broadband who can download them
easily. Perhaps even if there was an opt-in, where customers on dialup
could get to choose how they want the updates delivered once they'd been
forced to install the WGA ****e...

You're free to use something other than Windows.

Free being the operative word.
Old August 17th 06, 02:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

!

Forced by who?

Legislation - if you produce crap code, you should get to sort out the
mess for all users, not just those with broadband who can download them
easily. Perhaps even if there was an opt-in, where customers on dialup
could get to choose how they want the updates delivered once they'd been
forced to install the WGA ****e...

You're free to use something other than Windows.

Free being the operative word.

Yeah, just what I want. Big government making the decisions.

Old August 17th 06, 06:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

S.Lewis wrote:
Sounds like it's time for Service Pack 3. (g)

I feel for anyone left who has a dial up connection.

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html

is quite useful if you have your XP wih SP2 CD...........it enables you
to burn a new CD with all the (current) updates slipstreamed.

Old August 17th 06, 12:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nota Clu

Funny you should bring this up. I just formatted a 4 year old Dimension
last night and I got 54 updates + 12 more for Office XP.

Old August 17th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

wrote in message
ups.com...

S.Lewis wrote:
Sounds like it's time for Service Pack 3. (g)

I feel for anyone left who has a dial up connection.

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html

is quite useful if you have your XP wih SP2 CD...........it enables you
to burn a new CD with all the (current) updates slipstreamed.

Nice. Thanks. I'll have a look.....

Stew

Old August 17th 06, 01:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Nota Clu" wrote in message
Funny you should bring this up. I just formatted a 4 year old Dimension
last night and I got 54 updates + 12 more for Office XP.

While I tend to go soft on Microsoft (as opposed to, say, Ben who
justifiably wails upon them), MS is getting entirely too convoluted in their
approach to user's systems in the last 2-3 years.

I actually love WinXP (in comparison to previous MS attempts at an OS).

But MS, Google, Yahoo, Apple, and others ad-nauseum are bundling/installing
entirely too much unnecessary and unneeded crapware in the name of
"features" and competition.

Oh wait, a new term: "REDUNDANT-ware". Everyone wants to take over the end
user's PC for various functions and place their corporate icons in as many
locations as possible.

Anyone tried to obtain a simple download of Apple QuickTime in the last 2
years -without- ITunes???? 35 freakin' mbs.

That's just one small example. Rant off......

Stew