In plain English - how do you wipe these Dell partitions and restore points!?

Old August 20th 06, 10:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ANONYMOUS

Default In plain English - how do you wipe these Dell partitions and restorepoints!?

Tom,

Rebecca is another person who does not seem to have used a DELL system!

hth

Tom Scales wrote:

"Rebecca" wrote in message
Bob Levine wrote:

The Dell OEM CDs are effectively the same as any
retail CD with possibly some Dell drivers and installation info so
that it doesn't need to be activated.

Well, not quite. Dell has two types of Dell-branded 'generic' XP CDs: One
will not install on anything except a Dell PC, the other installs on any
PC.
Both need to be activated, neither has any special drivers that any other
OEM XP CD has.

Dell also makes Recovery XP CDs that don't require activation and have
special Dell stuff on them, but those CDs aren't even close to "the same
as
any retail CD".

Rebecca,

Sorry, but absolutely none of this is correct. Dell has ONE kind of XP CD,
which is a standard XP CD with Dell drivers slipstreamed. It is BIOS locked
and does NOT require activation on a Dell, but will if used as a OEM CD for
another brand.

Dell does not have ANY Restore CDs that include the applications.

Tom

Old August 20th 06, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Damian

Tom Scales wrote:
"Rebecca" wrote in message
Bob Levine wrote:

[...]

Do some research. What Rebecca wrote is correct.

Old August 20th 06, 10:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine

Rebecca wrote:

Tom Scales wrote:

"Rebecca" wrote in message

Bob Levine wrote:

[...]

****ing incredible! Where do you get your information? Don't get it there,
it's wrong.

Well, I tried to be civil in my other post by I can now see that that
was waste of bandwidth. The fact is, I could ask you same
question....where do you get your information. I can't count how many
Dells I worked on for friends and clients and I've done clean installs
on every one of them with a Dell supplied or burned CD.

There's no activation required and I've used those same CDs to do clean
installs on HPs and Gateways. After the activation prompt, I use the CD
key on the sticker of the case and it activates everytime.

If you're in the USA you don't know what the hell you're talking about
and if you're in another country and do know what you're talking about
then Dell is doing things drastically different in other countries.

Bob
Old August 20th 06, 10:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine

Damian wrote:

Tom Scales wrote:

"Rebecca" wrote in message

Bob Levine wrote:

[...]

I don't need any research. I've lived it and what she wrote is total crap.

Bob
Old August 20th 06, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Damian

ANONYMOUS wrote:
Tom,

Rebecca is another person who does not seem to have used a DELL
system!

What Dell ships with each PC may be different than what she wrote, but it
doesn't change that what she wrote is correct.

hth

Old August 20th 06, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Damian

Bob Levine wrote:
Damian wrote:

Tom Scales wrote:

"Rebecca" wrote in message

Bob Levine wrote:

[...]

Dell doesn't supply everything they make with each PC. Dell does make what
she wrote!

Old August 20th 06, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ANONYMOUS

Damian wrote:

Dell doesn't supply everything they make with each PC. Dell does make what
she wrote!

Dell supplies everything it makes at a price! The CDs are optional
extras. For example look at this site:

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...rsdimen_3100_2

Try to configure a system and you will get an option to buy the backup
CDs for OS and Drivers. system Restore CDs are free and includes
symantecs utility to restore the system.

hth
Old August 20th 06, 11:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:04:44 -0500, "DatabaseBen"
wrote:

Yes, you have to understand that if you don't want nothin of the Dell O.S.
installed, then you need to get / buy a Window CD from the store. If you
use the Dell OEM Windows CD's, you will get all that stuff you are trying to
avoid.

No, NO, NOOOO! If you install Windows from a Dell CD labelled Windows XP Home
or Professional, you do NOT install all the stuff you were trying to avoid. It
is a Windows installation CD, plain and simple, differing in only the tiniest
details from any other OEM or even retail Windows install CD. Then you install
the drivers from the drivers CD, starting with the motheboard chipset drivers.
Well, here is where you get the tiniest amount of Dell-specific software, a few
MB of menus and other stuff that make it easier to get support or download the
latest drivers from Dell.

Where do you people get these ideas???? ... Ben Myers
Old August 20th 06, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

You can't be serious! I service Dell boxes a lot. I install new ones for the
technically challenged buyers. I reload the OS when the hard disk is toast and
needs to be replaced. I have NEVER seen a Dell restore CD. I have used and
will continue to use the CDs supplied by Dell (now for a price) containing a
copy of Windows XP (Home or Pro) and the driver CD.

Get your facts 100% right or even just 99.9% when cross-posting to a Dell
newsgroup! ... Ben Myers

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:47:09 -0700, "Damian" wrote:

Old August 20th 06, 11:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine

ANONYMOUS wrote:

Damian wrote:

Dell doesn't supply everything they make with each PC. Dell does make what
she wrote!

Dell supplies everything it makes at a price! The CDs are optional
extras. For example look at this site:

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...rsdimen_3100_2

Try to configure a system and you will get an option to buy the backup
CDs for OS and Drivers. system Restore CDs are free and includes
symantecs utility to restore the system.

The restore utility at least not in the US is not on a CD. It's a hidden
partition on the harddrive that will restore the system exactly the way
it was out of the box.

Bob