Inspiron 5100

Old August 15th 06, 01:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe

Default Inspiron 5100

My girlfriends 5100 keeps overheating and then just turning off. The under
base near the processor gets EXTREMLY hot. When you feel the fan exhaust
hardly any air is coming out but the fan is spinning up like mad. Its only
been the past few months. The diagnostics software is missing when I press
F12? thanks.

Old August 15th 06, 01:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Craig

"Joe" wrote in message
My girlfriends 5100 keeps overheating and then just turning off. The under
base near the processor gets EXTREMLY hot. When you feel the fan exhaust
hardly any air is coming out but the fan is spinning up like mad. Its only
been the past few months. The diagnostics software is missing when I press
F12? thanks.

Get a can of computer duster and blow out the dust, and do once month in the
future to prevent overheating.

Craig

Old August 15th 06, 02:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Inspiron 5100 and 5150 are known to run hot. As another poster said, get a can
of compressed air and blow it into the vents where air goes in and comes out.
To do a more thorough job, remove the keyboard and blow compressed air in and
around the area where the processor cooling hardware is (top right of the
interior under the keyboard). She might also consider getting a USB-powered
cooling fan which sits underneath the computer... Ben Myers

Old August 15th 06, 12:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe

Inspiron 5100 and 5150 are known to run hot. As another poster said, get
a can
of compressed air and blow it into the vents where air goes in and comes
out.
To do a more thorough job, remove the keyboard and blow compressed air in
and
around the area where the processor cooling hardware is (top right of the
interior under the keyboard). She might also consider getting a
USB-powered
cooling fan which sits underneath the computer... Ben Myers

okay thanks, she's had it 3yrs now I think. Is there anyway of getting the
diagnostics software back?

Old August 15th 06, 01:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

As shipped from the factory, the system has a special Dell diagnostic partition.
In the case of her system, the diagnostic partition is either damaged or simply
not there. Rebuilding the diagnostic partition is a pain in the ass, even for
someone like me who has done it more than once. First, there must be at least
40MB of disk space available to contain the partition. If the space is not
available, you'd need to use Partition Magic or similar to shrink the Windows
partition. Then you need to load up the diagnostics (from the Dell web site)
and change the partition type with a partition editor like ranish. IMHO, don't
bother unless you are seriously masochistic... Ben Myers

Old August 19th 06, 04:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dan

Discussed ad nauseum for insp 11xx an 51xx series. The CPU heat sink
assembly gets blocked with dust, especially in pet households. The
blockage will eventually cause overheating and the failure of the
motherboard.

Compressed air will only flip the thick wad of dust back for a short
time. If the blockage is severe (which it probably is), you need to
either scrape the back of the heat sink or install a new one.

Dan

Old August 19th 06, 07:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Corrective action is not THAT severe. If there is a wad of dust-and-dirt that
cannot be dislodged by compressed air because it has gotten too large,
disassembly and careful cleaning of the area around the heat sink is all that is
required. Fortunately, Dell (unlike other manufacturers, he said, speaking
like a Dellbot) has illustrated service manuals available on-line.

I'm sorta good at this sort of thing, but I tore down an Inspiron 5100
completely in maybe 10 minutes a couple of days ago, with a couple of references
to the on-line service info for the beast. A complete tear-down, IMHO, is
removing everything from the system, and disassembling the entire chassis, but
leaving the motherboard in place. I also left the LCD screen as-is. But,
really, it IS pretty easy with a couple of smallish screwdrivers, one flat-head
for prying plastic parts carefully and one Philips-head for all the little
screws... Ben Myers

Old August 19th 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dan

Some of the fan assemblies are too large to pull out of the laptop
without removing the monitor and palmest. Most are easy enough after
removing the keyboard bezel, keyboard and metal plate...but not all

Dan

Old August 19th 06, 11:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

True. But removal of the LCD panel is exactly 4 screws, and removal of the
palmrest is another dozen screws or so from the bottom. Might as well strip
down the system and do a thorough job. Or, for the mechanically and
topologically challenged, disassemble bezel, keyboard and plate and fish the
dust bunnies out with a paper clip, q-tip or similar. But carefully.

Unless the cooling fan fails, there is no need to replace the parts, only to
make sure that there is nothing to impede air flow... Ben Myers

Old August 20th 06, 02:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Correction: 6 screws to remove LCD panel. Two in back and four for the two
hinges... Ben

Inspiron 5100 crmay Overclocking 1 January 29th 06 02:10 PM
How to identify component on Dell Inspiron 5100 motherboard? Mike General 7 May 21st 05 01:32 PM
inspiron 5100 upgrade screen to uxga? Kuba Dell Computers 0 February 9th 05 07:17 PM
Bootable Hard Drive Not Found - Dell Inspiron 5100 MissLivvy was:Curly Dell Computers 2 June 1st 04 03:53 PM
Windows 98SE on Inspiron 5100 Jim Besse Dell Computers 1 October 18th 03 06:50 PM