Windows 2000 Advanced Server Won't Work RIght On Dell Dimension 3000

Old August 16th 06, 06:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
apyankeefan

Default Windows 2000 Advanced Server Won't Work RIght On Dell Dimension 3000

Don't try to use a demsion bDESKTOPb as a server, use a
bSERVERb as a server. Even the "retards" know that DIP ****.

Your not very nice, calling people retarded that are trying to help you

Get a life buddy
:-)
Notan wrote:
Sign Generator wrote:

Dear Tom Scales (AKA JERK):

I admitted it wasn't my serial number, but I still can install this
machine with that serial number if it's not being used anywhere else.

snip

Really? Says who?

Notan

Old August 16th 06, 11:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sparky Spartacus

Sign Generator wrote:
Dell reps kept lying to me, telling me it was possible to run Win2kas,
I do have a business to run, after 21 days I couldn't simply return it
anymore and because windows xp runs fine, they wouldn't take it back to
fix as there is no problem with XP. I have tried anytime I have had
spare time in the last 8 months to try again and again.

More than enough from this particular jerkoff.
Old August 16th 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sparky Spartacus

Sign Generator wrote:
Now you are criminally attacking me,

So now you're a lawyer?

ROTFLMAO!
Old August 16th 06, 11:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sparky Spartacus

Ogden Johnson III wrote:
"Sign Generator" wrote:

Tom Scales wrote:

"Notan" wrote:

Sign Generator wrote:

I will complain about who I want to (I live in a free country).

I have spent days on the phone with Dell morons, who's to blame for the
retards working their? Microsoft? AOL? Who should I blame? I have had
these 3 Dells for 11 months and I have not been able to use them as
servers as Dell business services told me I could, my business has
suffered, I have lost much money on down time (my old servers are
overloaded with over 10,000 unique visitors a day plus the money I paid
for these useless paper weights.

I suspect your attitude (calling those you don't care for, "retards")
might have something to do with your problem(s).

His attitude isn't nearly as bad as his advice. Samsungs bad. Delete
restore partitions. Install Win2K server on a D3000.

Perhaps a teenager? The attitude and willingness to install illegal
software fits.

Now you are criminally attacking me, accusing me of illegal doings,
that is defamation of character (I COULD SUE YOUR ASS PUNK)! I never
said the Windows 2003 was being run on antoher server, it's a friend's
of mines that his business went bankrupt, in fact he wants me to buy
the CDs from him. SO stop accusing the world of bad things and worry
about yourself.

THIS IS WHY I NEVER CAME HERE FOR OVER 6 MONTHS, SO MANY F**KING
RETARDS EVERYWHERE YOU GO SHOOTING OFF THEIR BIG F**KING MOUTHS
(IDIOT)!

Less than two weeks back on Usenet after a long absence and I've
already got my first plonk for terminal idiocy.

The only retard in this story is you - the one who decided to go
cheap and try to make an entry level machine a business server.
Given the attitude you've demonstrated here, I don't believe a
word you've written about the Dell sales people telling you the
D3000 would run as a Win2K server. I am certain they tried to
discourage you.

I wouldn't even have bought a D3000 as my sole home machine - no
decent expansion potential. For a small office set up, I would
[as the company I used to work for did] have gone with D8xxx
series, as workstations and for my office server.

Sure, you're entitled to free speech. But no one has to stick
around to hear it. And I suspect few in a.s.pc-c.d are sticking
around to do so.

Well put, Ogden.
Old August 19th 06, 04:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dan

Did you consult with anyone before getting three Dell Dimension
3000's? Get a Dimension 8400 or XPS 600 and try your server schemes.

Do you really think that, just because you paid a hundred dollars more
(each) for Dimension 3000's instead of 2400's, that you could run
server programs on these systems? The motherboard doesn't even have
an AGP slot! It has TWO Dimm slots! THESE ARE LOW END COMPUTERS!
Give it up and go back to Home

Dan

On 14 Aug 2006 20:37:46 -0700, "Sign Generator"
wrote:

For almost a year now I have fought over and over again (plus spent
30-40 hours with moron Dell technicians who cannot spack English
well enough to communicate) trying to get Win2k AS on this Dell
Dimension 3000. I can get it to install, only takes 2 days to run the
Windows setup.

Old August 19th 06, 04:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alex Harrington

Dan wrote:

THESE ARE LOW END COMPUTERS!

Yes they are, but they are generic x86 hardware and should therefore be
able to run Windows server platforms.

The only difference per-se between a server and a workstation is the
software you run on them. Sure machines designed as servers have
redundant hotswappable hardware to increase their potential uptime, but
that doesn't make them any different at the nuts and bolts level.

You only have to look at the SC430 - it's a basic P4 workstation
motherboard in a case which bears a striking resemblance to a Dimension
9150 (in all but colour). It's an entry level server build from
workstation components.

We use cheap P4 systems at work for prototyping server OS installs for
various configurations - it shouldn't be a problem.

The problem here is almost certainly a SATA chipset issue. Buy a PCI
ATA133 card and IDE hard drive for each machine and it should work fine.

Alternatively, get some drivers for the specific SATA chipset from the
chipset manufacturer and install them once you finally get the system to
boot.

Alex
Old August 19th 06, 07:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Odds are 2003 AS would run fine
"Ben Myers" ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net wrote in message
Careful here making such a sweeping generalization! I'll grant you that
the
low-end Dell servers are very much similar to Dell systems intended for
desktop
use.

But, the server vs desktop market has long been fragmented by Xeon vs
regular
Intel processors. Some chipsets simply are not supported on one platform
or
amother and you cannot get drivers for that platform because they do not
exist.
As a rule, if a chipset used in servers turns up in somebody's brand of
high-end
workstation, you will be able to find workstation drivers for it.

The issue confronting the OP is one of chipset support. I doubt that
SATA
drivers exist for Windows 2000 Advanced Server. If they do, they are a
pain in
the ass to install. The OP's computers have SATA drives... Ben Myers

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:58:53 +0100, Alex Harrington

Old August 19th 06, 09:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alex Harrington

Ben Myers wrote:

But, the server vs desktop market has long been fragmented by Xeon vs regular
Intel processors. Some chipsets simply are not supported on one platform or
amother and you cannot get drivers for that platform because they do not exist.

I agree with you in the main Ben, however most chipset manufacturers
will produce reference drivers for their chipset which OEMs can then go
on to customise. If this SATA controller was ever used in a Windows 2000
PC then there will be a driver somewhere for it that will work on Win2k
server platforms.

It may be a pain to track down, however it is plain wrong to suggest
that since Dell brand this box as a workstation, it cannot be used to
run Windows server platforms as suggested by many people in the thread.

Perhaps the easiest way to track down the driver would be to boot
Knoppix or an Ubuntu live CD and then look at the output of "dmesg". It
should give the OP a rundown of all the hardware detected - and
therefore what chip is running the SATA.

I'd certainly question the choice of machine if the OPs business really
relies on these servers correct operation, however it should not be
impossible.

Cheers

Alex
Old August 19th 06, 09:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dan

Dell sales agents are vocabularily challenged...they don't know the
word "no"

Dan

On 15 Aug 2006 13:50:37 -0700, "Sign Generator"
wrote:

I agree Ben, but the Business Rep told me these systems would work for
my needs,