(OT) 55+ updates after any Service Pack 2 install?

Old August 18th 06, 01:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe Morris

Default (OT) 55+ updates after any Service Pack 2 install?

Ben Myers ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net writes:

845 chipset is a definite
maybe, probably would work OK without all the eye candy, cheap mascara,
eyebrow pencil, and lipstick of a Vista even more tarted up than XP.

grin Thanks for posting that excellent characterization of the Vista
desktop; if you don't mind I'll use it in some of my arguments to
management against fast-tracking the deployment of Vista to my users.

Data point: when I was preparing to release XP to my users (a full year
after it was released by Microsoft) one near-universal comment made
by the (internal) early-adapters was that they detested the "new, improved"
desktop appearance, which I call the "Toys-R-Us" design because all the
bright colors make it look like a small child's toy. As a result our
standard XP image has a run-once utility invoked when a profile is
created that (among other tasks) reverts the desktop to "classic" mode;
I expect that we'll do the same thing with Vista.

Joe Morris
Old August 18th 06, 02:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Ben Myers" ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net wrote in message
Value SUBTRACTED from your pocketbook, either buying a new system or
upgrading a
current system to perform acceptably. And disregard the Microsoft
hogwash of
512MB minimum memory for Vista. Micro$oft always understates the amount
of
system memory required to run a new release of an operating system. This
gets a
lot of suckers to buy the retail version in the stores and creates all the
buzz
when Vista goes on sale at midnight with everyone fighting to be first in
line
to have their money taken.

It does not take a great memory to remember that Microsoft stated that
128MB was
the minimum required for XP, and some foolish name brand vendors (Dell and
HP
among them) actually shipped entry-level XP systems with 128MB. The basic
configurations for the Dimension 2300, 2350, and 2400 included 128MB of
main
memory. Then customers complained when the system did a good imitation
of a
slug. Now, late in the game (life cycle of XP that is), and with memory
being
fortunately cheap, the general consensus is that 512MB (or damn close on
the
systems with integrated video) is the amount required to do real
meaningful and
productive work with an XP computer.

My strictly wild assed guess is that Vista will require 1GB of memory for
computer to be productive. Then let's get into the hard drive and video
requirements? You think a 40GB drive will suffice, when Windows XP fully
loaded and patched with all the latest bandaids and bubble gum takes over
9GB?
(Of course, I now know what to do to reduce the hard drive consumed by XP
by
over half, not with the help of Steve and Bill. Will integrated video be
able
to use all the graphics features of Vista? Betcha not.

Unless you have money to burn and hours of time as well, there is no point
being
an early adopter of Vista. Oh, yeah. Unless you have a serious
masochistic
mindset... Ben Myers

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::applause::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Old August 19th 06, 02:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sparky Spartacus

Ben Myers wrote:
I forgot to mention the miniskirt, spike heels and fishnet stockings... Ben

Now we're in full streetwalker mode.
Old August 19th 06, 02:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Sparky Spartacus

S.Lewis wrote:
Just for old times sake, speaking of the devil's apprentice (g) :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc

Ballmer's Monkey Boy video - I'd forgotten about that, thanks.
Old August 19th 06, 04:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Ah, you've had the experience to recognize it! But, yeah, that's the way I see
it, except that the tarted-up street walker is trying to appeal to consumers of
all ages... Ben Myers