/3gb switch in Boot.ini, QuadroFX3400, XP Pro SP2

Old July 29th 05, 04:25 PM
Luc Monod

Default /3gb switch in Boot.ini, QuadroFX3400, XP Pro SP2

Does anyone use the /3gb switch in the boot.ini file with a QuadroFX
adapter?
any issues relevant to this?
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839490
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/ar...06/209840.aspx

thanks

--
Luc Monod
Patt-Technologies, Inc.

Old July 30th 05, 06:44 AM
First of One

What are you getting at? Are you considering adding "/3gb" to boot.ini for
some reason?

The issue is supposed to be resolved with SP2.

Old August 1st 05, 02:43 PM
Luc Monod

"First of One" wrote in message
What are you getting at? Are you considering adding "/3gb" to boot.ini for
some reason?

The issue is supposed to be resolved with SP2.

Yes, I was considering adding the switch to my workstation and the couple
other identical ones here, but am always worried of applying a setting that
could cause issues.

Dell Precision 370, 3.4GHz, 2GB RAM, QuadroFX 3400.

I'm running UGS Solid-Edge and managed to crash the software due to a lack
of memory even though I still had plenty to spare.
from task manager:
physical Memory (K):
Total: 2,095,180
Avail: 1,068,516
System Cache: 327,344

Pagefile (MB):
Used: 868
Total: 4,095 ((D drive: RAID 0, 2xWD SATA Raptors 10,000rpm)

System & user tmp/temp files are on (D w/130GB free

Edge.exe
Mem Usage: 803,244 K
Peak Mem Usage: 848,984 K
VM Size: 673,800 K

--
Luc Monod
Patt-Technologies, Inc.

Old August 1st 05, 04:45 PM
First of One

"Luc Monod" LMonod 'at' Patt-Technologies 'dot' com wrote in message
I'm running UGS Solid-Edge and managed to crash the software due to a lack
of memory even though I still had plenty to spare.

Is this crash an isolated incident? Is it repeatable?

The easiest thing is to try adding the switch to boot.ini on one of your
workstations and see what happens. You can always delete the switch if
anything goes awry.

BTW, I have 1 GB of RAM, but can easily have Pro|Mechanica (FEM/thermal
module for Pro|Engineer) reserve 864 MB without any issues.