Canon i850 paper weights

Old August 7th 03, 03:36 AM
Charlie

Default Canon i850 paper weights

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 01:29:45 +0000 (UTC), "The ICT Man"
wrote:

Up to now I am very pleased with the performance of my new i850, but I was
disappointed to find that the maximum paper weight is only quoted as 105 gsm
(28 lb). I tried some HP photographic paper (205 gsm) that I already had,
and, sure enough it banded very badly.

I would be surprised if the top quality Canon paper was below 105 gsm

Does anyone know what is the actual maximum weight of paper which is
useable?
I have just found Kodak Picture paper for sale at Tesco at half price (£12
for 75 sheets) but it is 190gsm. Does anyone know of any half-decent cheap
photographic quality paper (available in the UK)?

I've used Ilford Galerie paper at 250 gsm with no problem whatever. I
believe Ilford paper is available worldwide.

--
Charlie Hoffpauir
If you really want to reply via email, my valid
Old August 7th 03, 11:50 AM
Fish Head

wrote:

Up to now I am very pleased with the performance of my new i850, but I was
disappointed to find that the maximum paper weight is only quoted as 105 gsm
(28 lb). I tried some HP photographic paper (205 gsm) that I already had,
and, sure enough it banded very badly.

Using Polaroid glossy heavy weight premium photo paper at 260 gsm with
perfect results in my i850. I do not know your source for the maximum
paper weight quoted as 105 gsm. Supplied with the new i850 was a
sample paper pack of Canon photo paper pro. The spec on the paper is
245 gsm.

Bill M.
Old August 7th 03, 01:26 PM
Taliesyn

wrote:

Up to now I am very pleased with the performance of my new i850, but I was
disappointed to find that the maximum paper weight is only quoted as 105 gsm
(28 lb). I tried some HP photographic paper (205 gsm) that I already had,
and, sure enough it banded very badly.

It's not the paper weight that causes the banding, it's the paper
coating and the way they handle the droplets. I've tried various
papers with varying banding results. You simply use one that gives
you less.

-Taliesyn

Old August 7th 03, 09:47 PM
The ICT Man

Thanks for the replies Guys, they have encouraged me to do some more
experimenting, and I have come up with some pleasing results!

The source of the figures I quoted was the PDF Userguide which came with the
printer. It quotes 64 to 105 gsm for NON-CANON paper! Is this a cunning ploy
to try to make you buy only Canon papers? Or am I just a li'l ol' cynic...

I tried the HP Premium Glossy Photo Paper (202 gsm) again, but this time I
did not set the paper thickness lever to Thick, but left it in the normal
position, and it printed perfectly! I also tried the Kodak Picture Paper
(190 gsm) and that worked perfectly as well. (Not a very good paper though,
but it was cheap)

Thanks again for all your help, will keep experimenting....

Dave