1gb usb memory stick ezcool, really slow write speed

Old August 2nd 06, 02:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
nathan

Default 1gb usb memory stick ezcool, really slow write speed

hi there
i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the ezcool usb
memory stick. I picked one up for $30 from a computer store (1gb model)
but have found the write speeds are incrediable slow.
i have tried formatting the unit several times but this has not helped,
i have also tried plugging the unit into several usb ports on my
computer. my computer has a usb 2.0 card in it and i have previously
used usb keys from other places (such as the dse 256mb usb key) and my
psp and not experienced any slow transfer rates. The fastest write
speed is supose to be 11mb/s

for example to copy MobileFirefox1.5.0.4 16.8mb unzipped it took 4mins

please let me know if this is unusal
thanks
nathan

Old August 2nd 06, 02:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

snip
psp and not experienced any slow transfer rates. The fastest write
speed is supose to be 11mb/s

If top speed is 11mb/s then it's a USB 1.1 device and you can expect it to
be slow.

Old August 2nd 06, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike Walsh

The speed is unusually slow; much slower than can be accounted for by running at USB 1 speed or with write cache disabled.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old August 3rd 06, 12:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
DaveW

If you buy really cheap RAM you may reasonably expect that it performed VERY
poorly during the manufacturer's quality assurance testing. That is why it
is so slow and so cheap.

--
DaveW

----------------
ups.com...

Old August 3rd 06, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

DaveW wrote:

If you buy really cheap RAM you may reasonably expect that it
performed VERY poorly during the manufacturer's quality assurance
testing. That is why it is so slow and so cheap.

Mindlessly silly. Its MUCH more likely its only running at USB 1.1 for some reason.

Old August 5th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

nathan wrote

i guess its just dodgy oh well i guess thats what you get when you pay cheap

It might be possible to fix it tho and get it to operate at a better speed.

The name is a bit of a worry tho |-)