Issues with Norton Internet Security and SATA drives?

Old January 20th 04, 04:02 PM
Hm

Default Issues with Norton Internet Security and SATA drives?

Sorry if thi is not the relevant Group for this question.

I built a PC last weekend with:

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 Motherboard
Athlon XP2800+
512Mb Crucial DDR 3200
Hightech Excalabur Radeon 9600XT Video Card
Maxtor 6Y080MO Plus 9 80Gb SATA HDD
Windows XP Home/SP1

After a few hiccups everything apears to be running perfectly and the
PC seems completely stable. I have run memtest to check out the memory
and have run 3DMark benchmarks 2000, 2001 and 2003 and am getting
impressive results.

All applications and games that I have tried seem to work perfectly
with one exception - Norton Internet Security.

The Gigabyte M/B came with NIS 2003 free. I tried several times but it
just would not complete the installation.

I then tried an old copy of NIS 2002 which I use on another PC and it
installed perfectly, so I assumed there was a problem with the
application on the Gigabyte disc.

Rather than wait for a replacement (because I want to get on-line with
broadband quickly, I bit the bullet and bought a copy of NIS 2004.
This appeared to load successfully , but after the inital re-boot the
system would repeatedly go into a loop of loading windows, crashing as
soon as XP attempted to load NIS (too quick for me to see the message)
an dimmediately re-boot. The only way I could break the cycle was to
interupt the boot-up with F8 and chose to boot up with my last good
configuration. NIS of course won't run.

Can't think what this might be. There aren't any known issues
installing NIS onto SATA drives, are there?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Harry

Old January 21st 04, 03:12 PM
Hm

Tried a few more things and can now say for sure that the problem is
not related to NAV but some other component in NIS.

I Changed my BIOS settings to disable Onboard LAN chip and Onboard
RAID (not really expecting this to make a difference.
I made sure my XP Firewall was completely disabled.
I manually deleted lots of 'Norton', 'Symantec' and 'Liveupdate'
entries left in the registry and ran both SYMCLN and RNAV utilities
(available on Symantec's site).

I then tried installing NIS2004 again but this time choosing not to
install NAV.

The same thing happened and I had to restore from the checkpoint I
created before the install.

I guess I'll just have to buy another product like McCafee or Zone
alarm and hope that works for me.

PS any way to install NAV alone from a NIS disk?

By the way the message that appears when the XP reboot crashes is:

"driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal"

Can anyone tell what this might refer to?

Thanks,

Harry