Crysis with DirectX 10 settings in XP Pro. SP3?

Old December 29th 08, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Ant

Default Crysis with DirectX 10 settings in XP Pro. SP3?

Hi.

I was reading that Crysis can be set to have DirectX 10
features/settings in Windows XP Pro. SP3. I just got a quadcore system,
MSI Radeon HD 4870 (512 MB; PCIe) video card, and other hardware
upgrades to play some resource intense games. I ran island benchmark and
I get nice FPS with all details maximum except monitor blur (disabled).

I read to get these DirectX 10 features is to edit the cfg files in
E:\winstuff\crysis\Game\Config\CVarGroups\ with copying very high
settings to high settings, but what am I editing/changing in them
(confused on the numbers and stuff)? I really don't want to break my
original game files. Is there another way or is this the only way?

Thank you in advance.
--
"To the gods I am an ant, but to the ants, I am a god." --unknown
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old December 29th 08, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
rms[_2_]

I read to get these DirectX 10 features is to edit the cfg files in
E:\winstuff\crysis\Game\Config\CVarGroups\ with copying very high settings
to high settings, but what am I editing/changing in them (confused on the
numbers and stuff)? I really don't want to break my original game files.
Is there another way or is this the only way?

There is a full guide to doing this he
http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_13.html

Have fun Ant! I don't have this game yet, alas!

rms

Old December 29th 08, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Ant

On 12/28/2008 5:52 PM PT, rms typed:

I read to get these DirectX 10 features is to edit the cfg files in
E:\winstuff\crysis\Game\Config\CVarGroups\ with copying very high settings
to high settings, but what am I editing/changing in them (confused on the
numbers and stuff)? I really don't want to break my original game files.
Is there another way or is this the only way?

There is a full guide to doing this he
http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_13.html

Have fun Ant! I don't have this game yet, alas!

Thanks. Ugh, need to do many copying and pastings.
--
"It's like stepping on ants... I don't step on ants, Major." --Odo and
Kira from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Old December 30th 08, 01:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
William

"Ant" wrote in message
[...]

It's the only way short of going Vista and getting DX10. (Wait for Windows
7 and get DX11.) PC Magazine (and many others) talked about that
work-around back when Crysis and then Warhead came out. I lost interest in
Crysis when EA went the root-kit direction for DRM control on Warhead.
HOPEFULLY now that EA has dropped Secure-Rom (root-kit technology) and is
reintroducing their games without Secure-Rom via Steam downloads, they will
offer the hard copies without Secure-Rom as well. Then I might just go and
purchase a copy and have some fun.

I do hope, that you have backed up your cfg file before editing them? In
windows explorer, control-mouse drag the file to another directory, add an
extension, or more words, or letters to it. Then move it back to the
working directory. May I suggest you add "old" or "1" just before the
dot.cfg on the file. Then if you need to revert back to it, it will be easy
to find.

William

Old December 30th 08, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Franky[_2_]

"Ant" wrote in message
Hi.

I was reading that Crysis can be set to have DirectX 10 features/settings
in Windows XP Pro. SP3. I just got a quadcore system, MSI Radeon HD 4870
(512 MB; PCIe) video card, and other hardware upgrades to play some
resource intense games. I ran island benchmark and I get nice FPS with all
details maximum except monitor blur (disabled).

I read to get these DirectX 10 features is to edit the cfg files in
E:\winstuff\crysis\Game\Config\CVarGroups\ with copying very high settings
to high settings, but what am I editing/changing in them (confused on the
numbers and stuff)? I really don't want to break my original game files.
Is there another way or is this the only way?

Yes there is a way and it's very easy. Go here and install this:

http://incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23117

http://files.filefront.com/CUDAATS+C.../fileinfo.html

Old December 30th 08, 01:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Tim O[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 16:25:26 -0800, Ant wrote:

Hi.

I was reading that Crysis can be set to have DirectX 10
features/settings in Windows XP Pro. SP3. I just got a quadcore system,
MSI Radeon HD 4870 (512 MB; PCIe) video card, and other hardware
upgrades to play some resource intense games. I ran island benchmark and
I get nice FPS with all details maximum except monitor blur (disabled).

I read to get these DirectX 10 features is to edit the cfg files in
E:\winstuff\crysis\Game\Config\CVarGroups\ with copying very high
settings to high settings, but what am I editing/changing in them
(confused on the numbers and stuff)? I really don't want to break my
original game files. Is there another way or is this the only way?

Thank you in advance.

As others have pointed out, there is basically a cut & paste text file
solution to this. I tried it when it was first introduced, and found
it slowed the game down too much on my hardware (Intel 3ghz dual core
and 8800GT). The difference wasn't that noticable, since the game is
already incredibly beautiful in DX9.

I felt I would rather run at a bit higher res with less effects than
having to back it down to run the extra stuff.

Tim
Old December 30th 08, 01:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Ant

On 12/29/2008 9:53 PM PT, Franky typed:

"Ant" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks.
--
"Did the ant fall off the toilet seat because she was ****ed off?" --unknown
/\___/\

Old December 30th 08, 02:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Ant

On 12/28/2008 5:52 PM PT, rms typed:

I read to get these DirectX 10 features is to edit the cfg files in
E:\winstuff\crysis\Game\Config\CVarGroups\ with copying very high settings
to high settings, but what am I editing/changing in them (confused on the
numbers and stuff)? I really don't want to break my original game files.
Is there another way or is this the only way?

There is a full guide to doing this he
http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_13.html

Hmm, not that much improved in terms of graphics and speed degradation
is ouch.
--
"Fall in those single lines like army ants..." --unknown
/\___/\

Old December 30th 08, 02:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Ant

"Ant" wrote in message
[...]

Is it me or are those enhancements reallly bright? Look at the grass.
Looks weird and too bright as shown in the author's screen shots.
--
"Every ruler sleeps on an anthill." --Afghani
/\___/\

Old January 4th 09, 09:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Ant

[...]

It's so beautiful. It seems bright under sunlight and dark with shadows
though. Oh well. Love the FPS now.