Green lines and lock up's

Old November 5th 03, 09:45 AM
James

Default Green lines and lock up's

I've been using my graphics card for about year and it's been fine and
then all of a sudden the following problems;

Every now and then, along the top of the monitor and going the whole
width of the screen from left to right, a row of vertical green lines
about half an inch long will appear and the system freezes - not even
ctrl-alt-del will help. The only way out is a reboot. Also screen
start flashing and everything turns green in windows xp

Card is Sparkle geforce 4 128mb 8x agp

I've rebuilt the PC, tried three different drivers; Microsoft, one
from the box and the latest NVIDIA?

I've haven't tried flashing the bios on the graphics card yet

Can anybody help?
Thanks
Old November 5th 03, 01:03 PM
phobos

James wrote:
I've been using my graphics card for about year and it's been fine and
then all of a sudden the following problems;

Every now and then, along the top of the monitor and going the whole
width of the screen from left to right, a row of vertical green lines
about half an inch long will appear and the system freezes - not even
ctrl-alt-del will help. The only way out is a reboot. Also screen
start flashing and everything turns green in windows xp

Card is Sparkle geforce 4 128mb 8x agp

I've rebuilt the PC, tried three different drivers; Microsoft, one
from the box and the latest NVIDIA?

I've haven't tried flashing the bios on the graphics card yet

Can anybody help?
Thanks

This could be a bios problem, but the green line freezing is
characteristic of a straight-forward lockup, sometimes due to
overheating issues.

I would first turn off Fastwrites and Sideband addressing in your mobo
BIOS, then disable them in software if you did so using RivaTuner or
something.

Then see if you're overclocking or overheating your card too much.
Lastly flash if all else fails.

As a side note, you might not want to turn back on your pc right away
after this kind of freeze. Video memory has a longer retention time
after you cut power to it than regular SDRAM. Wait about 6 seconds (1
mississippi... 2 mississippi...) and then boot back up.

I've had errors before where video memory corruption from the previous
crash IS STILL IN the framebuffer when I reboot, then causes another
freeze in-game.

Old November 5th 03, 10:22 PM
mimayin

bro, hate to tell you but the card is ****ed. thats what my brand new
gainward fx5900 was like when i got it, RMA'd and they confirmed it as
faulty.

peace.

om...