TNT2 OK without fan?

Old November 3rd 03, 03:07 AM
xyzzy

Default TNT2 OK without fan?

The fan on my TNT2 died. It's been running fine without one for a week
now. Is that OK or will I have an excuse to upgrade soon? Board is
Winfast3D S320 II 32MB, FWIW.

Old November 3rd 03, 03:26 AM
jeffc

"xyzzy" wrote in message
The fan on my TNT2 died. It's been running fine without one for a week
now. Is that OK or will I have an excuse to upgrade soon? Board is
Winfast3D S320 II 32MB, FWIW.

I've been having miscellaneous crashes and hangs. I went looking for the
problem and noticed the fan on my TNT2 Ultra had stopped working. I
replaced with a better heatsink and fan, but the problems didn't stop
(turned out to be a motherboard problem.) My point: my card had been
running for who-knows-how-long without the fan working.

Old November 3rd 03, 07:03 PM
Tundra Wookie

"jeffc" wrote in message
. com...

"xyzzy" wrote in message
The fan on my TNT2 died. It's been running fine without one for a week
now. Is that OK or will I have an excuse to upgrade soon? Board is
Winfast3D S320 II 32MB, FWIW.

I've been having miscellaneous crashes and hangs. I went looking for the
problem and noticed the fan on my TNT2 Ultra had stopped working. I
replaced with a better heatsink and fan, but the problems didn't stop
(turned out to be a motherboard problem.) My point: my card had been
running for who-knows-how-long without the fan working.

None of my TNT2s have had fans or heatsinks and they have been the most
stable and reliable video card I have owned.

--TW

Old November 4th 03, 06:44 AM
phobos

xyzzy wrote:

The fan on my TNT2 died. It's been running fine without one for a week
now. Is that OK or will I have an excuse to upgrade soon? Board is
Winfast3D S320 II 32MB, FWIW.

If it was a later model TNT2, then you should be ok. The TNT2 Ultras
had a heating problem as they came from the factory overclocked and the
cores were not very good at dissipating it.

Old November 5th 03, 06:45 PM
jeffc

"phobos" wrote in message

If it was a later model TNT2, then you should be ok. The TNT2 Ultras
had a heating problem as they came from the factory overclocked and the
cores were not very good at dissipating it.

Yes, it is in fact the Ultra. I tried putting a Blue Orb on it, and the
damn thing sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I might put a rheostat to control
the fan speed - the heat sink and fan are probably enough better than the
stock that even at lower speed it should be OK. But then, there are no
holes on the card for clamping the heatsink down, and I'm relying on thermal
tape and a twist tie to hold it, so the heat transfer is probably not ideal
either. Thanks.