rather odd ASUS/NVIDIA findings

Old May 13th 06, 09:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default rather odd ASUS/NVIDIA findings

i have an asus nvidia geforce fx5200 v9520 card in my system. it has
svga,
s-video and dvi outputs.
i always had my monitor connected to the svga and my widescreen tv to
the
s-video. always worked good.
i recently bought a digital tft screen with various connectors
including dvi
and with it being digital, obviously i want to use it digitally so i
looked
on the net for imformation. most places i looked at say that it does
NOT
support dvi and tv out together, only svga/tv and or svga/dvi. but i
came
across one place that says it does support dvi and tv together as
dual-view.
because of this slight confusion i decided to email asus customer
support
and got this reply -

"Dear Friend :
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is Maggie and I would be assisting you today.
We are really sorry to say that your card can support dual view Except
DVI
(Analog) + TV and No Dual View Support for DVI (Analog) + DVI
(Digital).Please check that."

translated from asian english into english it reads as though it doesnt

support dvi/tv together. what a bummer but never mind.
i got a dvi cable today and plugged it in and guess what - dvi/tv
dual-view
DOES work. im a happy chappy :-)

so it goes to show that even the people that make things dont know how
they
work

Old May 16th 06, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"chris 159" wrote in message
oups.com...
We are really sorry to say that your card can support dual view Except
DVI (Analog) + TV and No Dual View Support for DVI (Analog) + DVI
(Digital).Please check that."

From "Maggie"'s reply, these combinations won't work:

1. DVI (analog) + TV
2. DVI (analog) + DVI (digital) - obvious, since they use the same port.

translated from asian english into english it reads as though it doesnt
support dvi/tv together. what a bummer but never mind.
i got a dvi cable today and plugged it in and guess what - dvi/tv
dual-view DOES work. im a happy chappy :-)

so it goes to show that even the people that make things dont know how
they work

Your setup constitutes DVI (digital) + TV, which is supposed to work, and it
does. :-) And the language barrier will continue to exist as long as you
purchase cards from a Taiwan-based company. Thankfully Asus'
professional-looking manuals continue to set the standard.