Ordering an Optiplex 380 Mini Tower

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 10th 11, 03:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)

Default Ordering an Optiplex 380 Mini Tower

Hi, I'll be ordering an Optiplex 380 and dell's customization process
made me wonder about a few of the options. I'll be using the machine
for internet, internet video, dvd watching, cd, mp3, skype. Maybe
transcode and burn a video a couple times a month. It doesn't matter
if that takes 30 minutes more!

1. CPU

I see E7500, E7600 +$44, E8400 +$114. Is the E7500 fine for the things
described above?

2. PSU

Is the 'Up to 88 Percent Efficient PSU [add $20.00]' worth it? If I
add power consuming peripherals in the future, will the Efficient PSU
handle them ok like the Standard PSUs in my previous DELLs?

3. RAM

Will 4 GB DDR3 1 DIMM be ok? I've selected 'Windows Home 32-bit.'

4. Video Card

I selected the DVI Adapter Card (+$10). Is it better than the
integrated Intel GMA 4500 VGA as i think? I don't think a need an ATI/
nVIDIA card ($64 over the DVI Card) for the things I do?

5. Speakers

Is the AX210 1.2W USB enough to listen to mp3s? The AX510 Sound Bar is
+$10. I have an AX210 set now and they are fine.

Other options: I selected the E2311H 23in monitor ($90 over the 19in),
the 320 GB SATA HD ($8 over the 250 GB), 16x DVD+/-RW ($10 over the
16x DVD-ROM). I can't imagine ordering the monitor alone will be
cheaper? I also selected Windows Recovery Media (+$3), PowerDVD/Roxio
Media (+$3), Resourse DVD (+$3) discs. But is the Windows Recovery
disc a Windows disc? My friend ordered a 17r laptop in January and
didn't receive a Windows disc but burned himself a Recovery disc. If
you don't get a Windows disc why spend $3 for what you can burn
yourself for 20 cents? Same for the 2 others. Can you burn the apps
alone or you can burn them only as part of the Recovery disc?

I don't see a NIC mentioned. It must be standard now-days?

Thank you for any help. It's been a very long time since I ordered a
PC.

Jim