Limited number of partitions?

Old December 26th 06, 02:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Limited number of partitions?

Hi,

I've just bought a Dimension 9200 and have pulled the Seagate 320gb
drive and replaced it with 2 x 250gb Western Digital drives.

Overcame a few BSOD's initially and have managed to get everything up
and running.

No floppy drive but changing one of the BIOS settings (changing the
mode to non-RAID or something?) meant there was no need for
one........however, I'm wondering whether this has had a knock-on
effect.

I usually have 7 or 8 partitions on the primary drive but I got as far
as creating about four and XP tells me I've created the maximum
possible on the drive and won't allow me to create any more?

Any ideas?

TIA and merry Xmas to all.

Old December 26th 06, 03:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've just bought a Dimension 9200 and have pulled the Seagate 320gb
drive and replaced it with 2 x 250gb Western Digital drives.

Overcame a few BSOD's initially and have managed to get everything up
and running.

No floppy drive but changing one of the BIOS settings (changing the
mode to non-RAID or something?) meant there was no need for
one........however, I'm wondering whether this has had a knock-on
effect.

I usually have 7 or 8 partitions on the primary drive but I got as far
as creating about four and XP tells me I've created the maximum
possible on the drive and won't allow me to create any more?

Any ideas?

TIA and merry Xmas to all.

That's because you're putting them in a Primary partition. To do more they
have to be in an extended partition.

Can't understand why you want so many though.

I usually create a 15GB C: and the rest as Data

Old December 26th 06, 05:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Tom Scales wrote:

That's because you're putting them in a Primary partition. To do more they
have to be in an extended partition.

Can't understand why you want so many though.

I usually create a 15GB C: and the rest as Data

But I've taken drives right upto v: before nowwithout problem?

Is it something to do with the BIOS tweak I mentioned?

Old December 26th 06, 05:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

The industry standard partition table only allows 4 entries (and this
has been the case since 1981). However, one of the 4 can be an
"extended partition" that can be divided into an unlimited number of
"logical partitions". But you can only have 4 "real" partitions (some
versions of Windows will only recognize a single "primary" partition,
although more may exist on the hard drive).

My guess is that in the past you were creating "logical partitions"
within a single extended partition, but in this instance you were
attempting to create actual physical partitions. Both, perhaps, without
explicitly realizing either the difference or what you were doing.

Old December 26th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Barry Watzman wrote:
The industry standard partition table only allows 4 entries (and this
has been the case since 1981). However, one of the 4 can be an
"extended partition" that can be divided into an unlimited number of
"logical partitions". But you can only have 4 "real" partitions (some
versions of Windows will only recognize a single "primary" partition,
although more may exist on the hard drive).

My guess is that in the past you were creating "logical partitions"
within a single extended partition, but in this instance you were
attempting to create actual physical partitions. Both, perhaps, without
explicitly realizing either the difference or what you were doing.

Just doing it from the Win XP CD when you get to the point where you do
the business with drives?

Press D to select a partition to delete etc etc.

Done it dozens of times in the past..........